FORUMS: list search recent posts

3D text spinning around globe

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Declan Smith
3D text spinning around globe
on Oct 8, 2009 at 10:51:07 pm

Hi

I am trying to achieve a text rotating around a globe effect (aka Daily Planet style). I have managed to get so far in that the text goes around the globe (as long as glow isn't selected), however, each letter always points towards the camera, even when going around the back.

Anyone know if there is there anyway to achieve this effect in Motion ?

Thanks
Declan

P.S. I am new to motion!

Declan Smith

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
Re: 3D text spinning around globe
on Oct 8, 2009 at 11:07:11 pm

Create a circle using the circle shape tool. Hit F4 to open up the shape tab. Uncheck the Fill check box and check the outline checkbox. Hit F1 to open up the Properties tab. Change the X rotation to about negative 60 or so. Make sure you are in a 3D project. Put the globe in the middle of the circle. Select the text and hit F4. Then select the Layout tab. Change the Layout Method to Path. The Path Options will be abled. Change the Path Shape to Geometry. Drag the Circle shape from the Project Pane or Timeline to the Shape Source. Make sure Attache to shape is checked. Animate the Path Offset with keyframes and you are good to go. If you have not worked with keyframes check out this tutorial on Creating a Hologram. Best of luck.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out the Graphics Demo Reel I did.

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

Declan Smith
on Oct 9, 2009 at 10:34:34 am

Hi Stephen

Thanks for that. The only other thing I had to do was on the text format pane, match the X rotation with that of the circle. That made the text face outwards from the circle and align with the circle path.

regards

Declan Smith

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Oct 9, 2009 at 2:24:06 pm

Your welcome. Best of luck.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out the Graphics Demo Reel I did.

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index