FORUMS: list search recent posts

Motion chugging REALLY slow when making changes

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rob Gulley
Motion chugging REALLY slow when making changes
on Oct 3, 2009 at 12:45:23 am

Hey all.

I'm working on a DVD demo reel, and I've got this 3D thing going on as the intro to the DVD.

Take a look at my project: http://m-1studios.com/motion/Demo_Reel_Menu_Concept_2.motn

I have a group of groups that's basically a fan out as the camera moves backwards of what will be various video assets, currently occupied by still picture placeholders, and then I have a group that is text with some fake 3D effect going on.

When I started the project, everything was running smoothly and fast. Now, even though the video preview plays at somewhat reasonable speeds, it takes FOREVER just to make a change.

If I apply the simplest behavior to one of my layers, I get the spinning beach ball for at least 10 seconds! I'm on a quad 2.66 Ghz with 11GB of Ram and Radeon HD 3870 ! What the ****! Once Motion thinks about the change I make to my timeline, then I can scroll through the project video with ease, without any chugging, without any preview rendering. Its only when I make a change or apply a behavior or filter or even just changing a numerical value in a parameter that it stalls. This is REALLY slowing me down. This chugging happens even when I disable most of my CPU intense layers, or delete them. It doesn't seem to be related to what's visible or hidden. This doesn't happen with other Motion projects.

Any thoughts?

(PS Some of the projects aspects are in http://m-1studios.com/motion/ There is a video and audio asset already in my project that you won't be able to link to because they are too big to upload)

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
Re: Motion chugging REALLY slow when making changes
on Oct 5, 2009 at 3:15:38 pm

Rob,
I'm not sure what is going on. It played in almost real time on my computer, of course I don't have that one clip or the music, but that should not give you the real time play back problems your having. Try trashing your preferences. Here is an article on it.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1885

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out the Graphics Demo Reel I did.

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

Rob Gulley
on Oct 5, 2009 at 7:53:22 pm

I don't want to admit that trashing the prefs worked, but it did.

GAWD, I feel like such a noob.

But really, WTF does trashing the prefs fix these things? To clarify, my issue wasn't slow playback. The playback was fine- once Motion spent 10 seconds contemplating every single parameter change.

2 cents: My degree is in Computer Science. In another life I was a software developer. These kinds of major usability issues are something my team would get yelled at for...

Oh well.

Thanks Steve!

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Oct 5, 2009 at 8:11:53 pm

Back on Final Cut Pro 4 I had to trash the preferences all the time. There is a cool program called Final Cut Pro rescue that would trash the preferences for you. What a cool program and it is free. Hopefully some day we will get a Motion Rescue. I'm happy everything worked out and best of luck on your project.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out the Graphics Demo Reel I did.

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

Rob Gulley
on Oct 7, 2009 at 9:13:55 pm

I retract my statement from before. I got about an afternoon of smooth sailing out of trashing the prefs. Then I started getting Ozone crashes left and right. I can't even open up my project file without it crashing. I am in awe of this huge of a bug.

Return to posts index

warwick teale
: Re: Motion chugging REALLY slow when making changes
on Oct 26, 2009 at 7:23:52 am

HI Rob, just a heads up. I am too having tremendous frustration with Motion4 (V4.01) on this 2009 MA PRO w/16GB Radeon 4870 and fast disk array where I have placed all motion caching file (this is not the issue btw) :).

I see one single vcore at 100% a lot (apparently sending work to the RAdeon 4870!). the other 15 vcores sit idle. I too have 10-15 secs trying to scrub or worse 20 secs while waiting for the HUD to change when I click on a behaviour and also some other elements. (i'm rather behond on hte project at present).

I have several nested layers with a few behaviours in one of these 15 secs projects. All have the same issue.

I employed all Mark Spencer's (and others 10 tips+ to make motion more efficient - but have no real effects over all). (soloing layers and objects etc etc)

So HEADS UP that via trial and error: You might want to SELECTIVELY DISABLE THE BEHAVIOURS on the layers for the layers that you have specifically disabled! This seems to reinstate responsiveness of Motion.

Turn them back on when you are ready to bake.

So far seem to be working ok.

Now to catch up 24 hours of work.

Let me know if this works for you

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]