FORUMS: list search recent posts

Choosing the proper aspect setting for large theater projection

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Babcock
Choosing the proper aspect setting for large theater projection
on Oct 1, 2009 at 2:50:11 am

I'm working on a project in Motion3 that will be projected on a large screen in a theater. The screen size is 50'x25'. The source material is all photos. I'm wondering about the aspect setting I should use. They don't have BlueRay capability so I will be delivering a standard DVD. Should I use the Anamorphic 2:1 setting? It seems obvious but afraid I might be missing something. Any suggestions on the best setup for this scenario would be terrific.

Thanks very much!

-Scott Babcock
CreativePoint Productions

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Choosing the proper aspect setting for large theater projection
on Oct 1, 2009 at 3:15:05 am

That depends more on the projector than the screen. I'd stick with something standard like 1920x1080 16:9.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!. Unlock the secrets of the 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II, and Panasonic DVX100.
http://www.callboxlive.com
DSLR Cinematography Blog

Return to posts index

Scott Babcock
on Oct 1, 2009 at 4:41:23 am

But wouldn't that need a BlueRay disc for those HD parameters? They don't have that. At first I was thinking I would use NTSC D1/DV Anamorphic 1.2 but not sure that would be correct. Would that be 'wide' enough for a screen at those dimensions (50x25)?

Thanks.

-Scott Babcock

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Oct 1, 2009 at 1:39:45 pm

As I said- the screen size is not nearly as important as the projector being used. So find out what that projector is capable of doing. If they only have the capability to project an NTSC DVD then your best bet would be to make a 16:9 NTSC video. Any sort of special frame size you try and make in Motion would have to fit into that shape anyway so you might as well fill it up.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!. Unlock the secrets of the 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II, and Panasonic DVX100.
DSLR Cinematography Blog

Return to posts index

Scott Babcock
on Oct 1, 2009 at 5:47:28 pm

I found out that the project is a Titan 1080p-700, which seems totally ready for HD - but the client seems to be worried about BlueRay compatibility(copyright issues??) Some of the specs are:

Display Type
3 x .95” Dark Metal 1080p DMD™ with
Fast Transit Pixels for smooth
greyscale and improved contrast
DMD Specification
1920 x 1080 pixels native, 12˚ tilt angle
Fill Factor
87%
Sealed Optics at DMD™ Interface
Protects DMD’s™ from optical contamination
Source Compatibility
• Composite, s-video, and color difference
video standards
• RGB graphics standards up to 1920 x
• DVI standards with HDCP compliance
• High definition RGB and color difference
standards
• High definition / standard definition serial
digital formats (SD/HD-SDI) (from 4/08)
Video Processing
• Enhanced 7 point color correction
• Xenon Color Mode - User selectable yellow
notch filter and xenon-color mode
processing, enable the projector to closely
replicate xenon lamp spectral performance.
• Class leading Video de-interlacing/process-
ing of SD and HD sources using auto 3:2
and 2:2 extraction, ruggedized for editing
discontinuities

I'm new to Motion and the project settings are a bit than some other apps. I don't see a setting under D1/DV NTSC for 16x9 specifically. Perhaps I can convince them to go 1920x1080. Or do I work in 1920x1080 and scale it down on the output?

Thanks,

-Scott Babcock

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Oct 1, 2009 at 8:19:43 pm

Well it also depends how you want to feed it. The ideal situation would be 1920x1080 24p. Then you take your computer or a laptop and play out ProRes (not HQ) 1080/24p DVI to HDMI directly to the projector. Make sure they have audio that will match as well. And for god's sake do a test. If all else fails try a 16:9 NTSC DVD (there's not a preset for this so make your own) and play that. But the ProRes 1080 over DVI will look far better than an NTSC DVD>

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera! Unlock the secrets of the 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio.
DSLR Cinematography Blog

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]