FORUMS: list search recent posts

motion and chroma keying

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
anthony Faulkner
motion and chroma keying
on Oct 1, 2009 at 12:53:54 am

When i pull keyed footage accross from FCP. It arrives in motion unkeyed. so any nests i pull across are unkeyed.

I messed about with the keyer in motion but found it not really satisfactory.

Im quite new to motion and figuring maybe i should plug away with AF.

but the integration of motion is just so convenient with FCP.

thanks for any assistance.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: motion and chroma keying
on Oct 1, 2009 at 1:56:50 pm

Motion is much better at titles and effects than it is at keying. You're better off doing that in FCP or Shake or AFX or any one of the other compositors out there.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera! Unlock the secrets of the 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II, and Panasonic DVX100.
http://www.callboxlive.com
DSLR Cinematography Blog

Return to posts index

Jason Diebler
on Oct 1, 2009 at 2:31:25 pm

Most filters don't translate over to Motion from an FCP roundtrip (only the Smoothcam and 1 other I believe actually does)... don't ask why. You could always export your FCP nest as an animation, then import into Motion. But I agree with Noah, you're better off doing your keying in FCP or another program. I like the Red Giant plugin Primatte Keyer Pro for FCP.

"The deepest blues are black" - Foo Fighters
(this doesn't help me when I'm chroma keying!)

Return to posts index

anthony Faulkner
on Oct 1, 2009 at 2:32:31 pm

Right, the keyer in motion is useless...

allright ill try that option..

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Oct 1, 2009 at 2:33:00 pm

Sorry, I have to agree. I don't like Motion's default keyers and was really hoping that would be addressed in the newest version of Motion. You can by a plug-in or I've found great success with keying it in Final Cut Pro using the Chroma Keyer. Don't render the footage and mark an In and Out point on the footage. Then go up to File, Export, Using QuickTime Conversion. Click on the Options button next to Format. Choose Animation for the Video settings. Make sure it's depth is Millions Colors +. Import the footage into Motion and you are ready to go. Hope this helps.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out the Graphics Demo Reel I did.

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

anthony Faulkner
on Oct 1, 2009 at 2:36:07 pm

thanks a lot for all the responses, ill try that out and see how it goes!

cheers

Anthony

Return to posts index

jordi molina
on Oct 3, 2009 at 10:23:50 am

A must for proper chroma-keying in Motion is using Primatte's Keyer (the extended version, not the one bundled in Motion). You will miss very few things compared to AE in terms of interoperability (the quality is amazing).

I just finished a 12-minute shortfilm, 100% green screen, that is being shown in 200+ cinemas in Spain, in front of Bruce Willis' THE SURROGATES.

We had to do all the comp in Motion (and I'm a Shake/AE user myself) due to coordination, versioning and time constraints.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]