FORUMS: list search recent posts

I want to use Motion but...

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gabriel Regalbuto
I want to use Motion but...
on Sep 29, 2009 at 2:53:01 am

The idea of Motion has appealed to me since I saw the pre-release demo at NAB years back. Unfortunately, every time I've tried to use it I've been frustrated. I know it has its champions, so I'd like to ask here for some reassurance that re-delving into Motion in hopes of making it a useful tool for me won't be time wasted.

Here are my needs and concerns:

I probably won't ever abandon AE - call me crazy but I like keyframes. What I want from Motion is the integration it offers for titles, and hopefully for building elaborate transitions.

For titles, I've found that even if I create any background elements behind the text and pre-render them as a QT with alpha, they take much longer to render than AE - like 8x to 10x as long as AE does even when building the backgrounds on the fly. Are slow render times something that must be expected or am I doing something wrong? Timelines with Motion elements also seem to hang on opening while FCP loads master templates.

For transitions, what I'd love to do is something I used to do 10 years ago with Boris FX and Discrete Edit* - overlap clips on v1 and v2 by x number of frames, and drop an effect on top which would grab v1, apply various filters, resize, etc. and do various other things to v2. In effect, for example, creating a transition where one track zooms, blooms, and fades out, while the other fades in. I haven't been able to get templates to work for this. Can drop zones automatically grab predetermined video tracks? Is there a different approach that would achieve the same end?

Thanks in advance.

FCS2 CS4
MacPro 8x
5drive eSATA stripe

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
Re: I want to use Motion but...
on Sep 29, 2009 at 1:06:39 pm

[Gabriel]

I probably won't ever abandon AE - call me crazy but I like keyframes. What I want from Motion is the integration it offers for titles, and hopefully for building elaborate transitions.

Most Motion users I know use both AE and Motion. However, I find myself using Motion 95% of the time because I feel it is faster then AE for what I'm doing. I'm not sure what you dislike about Motions keyframe capabilities, I like its keyframe capabilities a lot. I love that you can use keyframes and behaviors together so you can get the best of both worlds. Take a look at this TV show open I did in Motion. I hope this shows that elaborate content can be built in Motion. And by the way, I feel I built this TV show open faster in Motion then I could have in AE. I hope this information is somewhat helpful.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out the Graphics Demo Reel I did.

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

Gabriel Regalbuto
on Sep 29, 2009 at 3:25:39 pm

I don't doubt Motion's capabilities, I'm just happy with AE for the bulk of my graphics needs and not really attracted to the Motion interface. What I am interested in Motion for I laid out above, titles I can edit in FCP, and effects which pull from the video tracks in my FCP timeline. With the first, I've been frustrated by render time, and with the second, I haven't figured out a way to do what I'm trying to.

Don't mean to step on toes by being critical of Motion - really. I'm just hoping to be pointed the way to Motion happiness for my specific needs.

FCS3 CS4
MacPro 8x
5drive eSATA stripe

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Sep 29, 2009 at 3:58:21 pm

[Gabriel Regalbuto] "I probably won't ever abandon AE - call me crazy but I like keyframes. What I want from Motion is the integration it offers for titles, and hopefully for building elaborate transitions. "

Me too. Hard to get used to Motion when you've lived on CoSA and AE since 1994 / 95. Motion is my title generator and particle effects generator primarily though I use some of the templates from time to time.

[Gabriel Regalbuto] "For titles, I've found that even if I create any background elements behind the text and pre-render them as a QT with alpha, they take much longer to render than AE - like 8x to 10x as long as AE does even when building the backgrounds on the fly. Are slow render times something that must be expected or am I doing something wrong? Timelines with Motion elements also seem to hang on opening while FCP loads master templates. "

That's a bit unusual. Motion is very fast to render here and keep in mind, Motion relies on the GPU as much as the CPU so you want a beefy graphics card. We run the ATI line of cards here. But one thing I rarely do in Motion is render the Background element if I have one. If I need the video as a guide, I generally will turn it off and just render with the alpha channel and then send that in FCP to composite there.

[Gabriel Regalbuto] "I haven't been able to get templates to work for this. Can drop zones automatically grab predetermined video tracks? Is there a different approach that would achieve the same end? "

Not to my knowledge, you have to use the drop zones in Motion, but then others here are more knowledgeable on Motion than I am.

Know that Boris FX is still available for FCP and we run Boris Continuum FX on our systems for filters.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author.
Credits include multiple Emmy, Telly, Aurora and Peabody Awards.
Owner, Biscardi Creative Media featuring HD Post

Biscardi Creative Media

"Foul Water, Fiery Serpent" now in Post.

Creative Cow Forum Host:
Apple Final Cut Pro, Apple Motion, Apple Color, AJA Kona, Business & Marketing, Maxx Digital.

Read my Blog!

Twitter!

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Sep 30, 2009 at 3:18:07 pm

[Gabriel] Don't mean to step on toes by being critical of Motion - really. I'm just hoping to be pointed the way to Motion happiness for my specific needs.

Be as critical as you want, you will not step on anyone's toes. I did not write what I did to argue with you, but to just say that Motion can do a lot more then people give it credit. So, if you took my comment as a slam, sorry, it was in no way meant to be.

[Gabriel] For titles, I've found that even if I create any background elements behind the text and pre-render them as a QT with alpha, they take much longer to render than AE - like 8x to 10x as long as AE does even when building the backgrounds on the fly. Are slow render times something that must be expected or am I doing something wrong? Timelines with Motion elements also seem to hang on opening while FCP loads master templates.

Walter is right, however...I've found that if I export out a movie in FCP as a QT - Animation - Millions Color + video and crank up the Quality beyond the default preset it does slow down Motion's real time playback capabilities. I really can't see the difference between the Quality set to Medium or Best, so make sure you leave it at Medium.

[Gabriel] For transitions, what I'd love to do is something I used to do 10 years ago with Boris FX and Discrete Edit* - overlap clips on v1 and v2 by x number of frames, and drop an effect on top which would grab v1, apply various filters, resize, etc. and do various other things to v2. In effect, for example, creating a transition where one track zooms, blooms, and fades out, while the other fades in. I haven't been able to get templates to work for this.

You can do this by applying the behaviors slash filter to V1. Duplicate the clip and make the adjustments. Drag the V2 clip onto the duplicate of V1 and it will swap out the clip. Or you can just copy and paste the info to the V2 clip and the make the changes. You can then tun that project into a template and use it over and over or just re-open this project and open up the project pane or timeline and drag all of the groups / group to the new project. Swap out the clips by dragging the new one on the old or by just hitting F1 and changing the Media by clicking on the To button.

[Gabriel] Can drop zones automatically grab predetermined video tracks? Is there a different approach that would achieve the same end?

Sorry, I'm not sure I understand what your asking. Hope this is helpful and best of luck on all of your projects.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out the Graphics Demo Reel I did.

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]