FORUMS: list search recent posts

Layered Image Files in Motion for FCP

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan Osika
Layered Image Files in Motion for FCP
on Sep 23, 2009 at 5:22:13 pm

Up to this point, I've been using Motion (3.0) files in Final Cut Pro (6.0) to create slates for my projects. We do a lot of slates, so the render time for the various slates adds up. Sometimes 40-50 slates in a single timeline, which can result in hours of rendering. I can't export each slate as a flat image because I often need to go into the slate and make some edits.

I noticed that if I use Photoshop, I'm able to drag layered TIFF files into my FCP timeline to create much shorter render times (the light green "preview" render line instead of red). And, since the TIFF file remains layered, I'm able to edit text in the slate in Photoshop and have the changes show up in FCP automatically.

Problem is, not every editor/producer here has Photoshop, but they all have Motion. Is there a similar way to do the same thing in Motion that I can do in Photoshop while keeping those renders "preview" (light green, rather than red).

Hope this makes sense. Please let me know if you need more info. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Arnie Schlissel
Re: Layered Image Files in Motion for FCP
on Sep 23, 2009 at 10:39:30 pm

I just use FCP's text generator for slates. No rendering or very fast rendering on a G5 or Mac Pro with a decent disk array.

Arnie

Post production is not an afterthought!
http://www.arniepix.com/

Return to posts index

Ryan Osika
on Sep 23, 2009 at 11:24:33 pm

Our slates use a variety of fonts and font sizes as well as graphics. Unfortunately, FCP doesn't offer us the flexibility we need.

Return to posts index

Kevin Monahan
on Sep 24, 2009 at 2:01:55 am

I'd make a graphic in Motion, then save it as a Motion Template. Open the Motion Template in FCP's Generators Tab or Pop Up and away you go.

You may not get preview quality, but unlimited RT quality you can get.

Set the RT Pop Up to Unlimited RT > Dynamic Quality > Dynamic Frame Rate

This is what I would do if Photoshop was out of the question.

Kevin Monahan
http://www.fcpworld.com
Author - Motion Graphics and Effects in Final Cut Pro

Return to posts index

Ryan Osika
on Sep 24, 2009 at 5:41:27 pm

Where do I find the FCP Generator's tab?

Return to posts index

Ryan Osika
on Sep 24, 2009 at 6:26:51 pm

I just figured out where the generators tab is. However, the template doesn't seem to translate well from Motion to FCP. Plus, we still have the red render line rather than "preview." It's looking more and more like Motion can't do a layered TIFF like Photoshop (or something similar)?

Please let me know if you guys have any more thoughts.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]