FORUMS: list search recent posts

Export Stops

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Saliba
Export Stops
on Sep 21, 2009 at 5:23:33 pm

After I have finished my project in Motion 3 running on Mac os x snow leopard, I obviously export it. Apart from that the export takes a long time just to render a write on effect of a paint stroke, it stops and displays the preview window as if it has finished the export and it shows till where it has exported/rendered. I don't know why this is happening to me. I cannot even export this 30 second TV ad.

Return to posts index

zak peric
Re: Export Stops
on Sep 22, 2009 at 6:26:05 am

What computer do you have. How much ram, what graphic card. Also you should maybe reset parameter P-RAM or fix permissions on your computer.
If this does not work then try trashing preferences of motion.

Return to posts index

david bogie
on Sep 23, 2009 at 3:37:19 pm

Hope you can help him Zak. We've been patiently trying to get Mark to tell us what the real issue for several days over on apple.com. We cannot get enough information to assist but we do get attitude that may be a translation or cultural issue. but our experience on the Apple Motion forum is most such posts are simple user errors or unfamiliarity with the Motion and Quicktime flow. for instance, he seems to be attempting to render to H.264 directly from Motion which, although it might work, is setting oneself up for trouble.

> I'll try to sort out this myself.. cause it seems like you're too much of a pro..
For your own interest i know a lot about this sector and don't just start saying nonsense. If you know much more than me about video and Motion you surely know less than me how to communicate with people. <

Attempting to read between the lines of his incomplete posts, we conclude he is attempting to force flawed workflow, rendering to an imporperly formatted FAT drive, or a full drive. We just can't get Mark to answer our questions without him assuming we know everything about him, his project, his computer, and his level of competency.

Here's my last post to him:

> Is your external drive formatted properly for HFS? What is the size of your file when it stops? H.264 is not a good export format from Motion, it consumes huge overhead processing that can interfere with rendering. Try rendering to a more conventional production format and then exporting that rendered movie to H264 using Compressor. <

bogiesan

Return to posts index

Mark Saliba
on Sep 23, 2009 at 3:53:26 pm

Hi, Thanks for the help so far. So now I exported it using another format. Spent all night exporting 20 seconds in full resolution and rendering set at best quality. Well it's true i'm running this on a 2.4ghz core 2 duo and 2Gb ram. But to spend all night and than it just stops at a point in time is a bit weird.

So now I used that part which was rendered and exported the unrendered part and joined them to form a 30 second promo. So i kind of found a workaround for it.

I'm worried that this is caused with the new snow leopard cause a couple of people were reporting problems but i'm not sure about it, i'm just guessing. Last project i did in motion was just a few weeks ago and i did not have snow leopard installed.

Yeah i must admit that it might be my fault. But cannot see what it is.

Return to posts index

zak peric
on Sep 23, 2009 at 3:56:09 pm

Look I need to know more about your problem. I am sure Mark meant well, he is actually very nice and helpful guy.

Anyway explain in more detail your problem please. Then we can talk.

Return to posts index

Mark Saliba
on Sep 23, 2009 at 4:10:49 pm

This is it all:

I built up my project, it consists of several other projects inserted in this project. It's sort of like the pre-composing in After Affects. I use it mostly just to have clean composites and then just join them.

It's only 30 seconds long. Consists of several videos, streaks with write-ons, camera, a steam generator, some jpegs and one music track.

When i then come to export it i got problems. I start to export, it starts and then just stops at one point in time. When it stops I get that Motion's like media player and i can watch the bit which was exported.

When I had changed the format to something else rather than H.264 it rendered through out the night and spent from 3 to 9 in the morning on the same frame. I had to stop it cause obviously there was a problem. I still could watch the up to where it had rendered.

I noticed when i was using the H.264 that when i do not change any of the export settings it stops at the same frame.

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
zak peric
on Sep 23, 2009 at 7:24:05 pm

Well, the problem is somewhere that is for sure. Anyway, I never ever export to h264 directly from Motion. I always export all my movies by using Animation codec (full quality). Then I use Quicktime to export this into H264. If I am you I would try this first.

If you still have a problem. I would approach the problem from an angle that there is something in your project that Motion does not like. I would then first delete the preferences and try exporting again. If the problem persists I would then render the animation one group at the time in order to find a problem. So try rendering different groups and see it rendering stops. If it stops with a particular group you then need to use assets from that group and find which one motion does not link. Add one layer at the time until you find which is a problematic layer. Then delete the layer or re-import the layer.

I would also try to copy all groups and layers to a new motion documnet then save it under different name, see if this helps.

The problem is not easy to fix but you can find the problem if you work systematically as I have explined.

I know this is not what you want to hear. Sometimes there are no shortcuts and you need to understand that this problem can happen in any program and you need to approach it logically and find the problematic asset.

Return to posts index

Mark Saliba
on Sep 23, 2009 at 8:38:14 pm

Hi Zac thanks for the info. I will start doing as you've said, exporting with the animation codecs. I never came across this problem so that's why i was using H.264. But it's very good to know what you've said.

That passed through my mind, that i might have a problem with the project. I will be starting another project soon so I will see if the same problem happens i will try the ways you mentioned. Don't get me wrong i will try them if i get another problem because using my mac to render is a bit time consuming.

Thanks for the help. I appreciate.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]