FORUMS: list search recent posts

I cant figure out something

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Salter
I cant figure out something
on Sep 18, 2009 at 7:26:53 pm

I'am struggling to create an effect for a opening sequence for amateur video project. I have been trying to figure it out and have done a bit of research but nothing seems to do what I want it to do.

I am trying to create a title sequence which simulates a subway map in a crude form i will try to illustrate:

\
\ /
-- --N-ew --\ /
- \-----/
Y ork / \ - Footage---\
/ \
--- C ity / \
/
/

Now just to explain what I want to happen I have created the N, Y and C to look like the New York subway symbols with coloured circles and would appear one at a time as a line imitating a subway line which moves across the screen from top left to bottom and down to the bottom right with a few angle changes along the way.

Then when it crosses the path of where the N should be it then appears as if it were a subway stop on a subway map. Then when I want to finish the seqeunce I would like the N to follow the line down and out of the view of the camera.

I want this to happen to all three letters, like three different subway lines.

The ew, ork, ity are separate along with the footage and all fade out as the above start to move across the screen.

THIS IS WHERE I NEED HELP:

I just cant seem to do anything that creates the path and the line effect i want. I can draw the lines ( but cant do the movement I want). I can click on "Replicators" and then Line drawing (which i thought would be what I wanted) but I cant seem to manipulate the shape of the line or get it to do the path/route that I want! it says on the HUD that I can edit the shape source but cant figure out how to do it.

If I add anymore I would be rambling on so if anyone can shed some light on the matter I would be grateful.

Thank you in anticipation.

Return to posts index

zak peric
Re: I cant figure out something
on Sep 18, 2009 at 9:30:40 pm

Look to explain what you need to do will take a little bit more time than I have currently. never the less I love to help you. please see one of my video tutorials for animating lines in apple motion. I hope this will resolve your problem. http://embryo.me.uk/wp/2008/03/17/video-tutorial-embryo-lines_part-2/

Return to posts index

Daniel Salter
on Sep 18, 2009 at 9:58:08 pm

Thank you Zak, I have subscribed to your podcasts as well so hopefully I will pick up some of your skills.

Thanks again.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Sep 18, 2009 at 9:32:36 pm

Daniel,
Seems like there are a lot of questions in this question so I'll answer the one I think you are look for. Create a subway line using the bezier shape tool, you can use the b-sline or paint as well. When you get to your last point double click on it to close it so it is a line and doesn't close the shape. Hit F4 to open up the Shape tab. Check the outline check box. Increase the Width and change the color if you want. To edit the line go up to the Select tool and hold down on it for a drop down menu, select the Adjust Control Points tool which is the only one with a curvy line in its icon. With that you can adjust the shape in the canvas. To animate it add a Write on Behavior. Hope this is what your looking for. Hope this helps.

Stephen Smith
Lone Peak Productions

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

Daniel Salter
on Sep 18, 2009 at 9:54:12 pm

Thank you Stephen, your advice has really helped.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Sep 18, 2009 at 10:20:20 pm

Perfect, let me know if there is anything else I can do.

Stephen Smith
Lone Peak Productions

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]