FORUMS: list search recent posts

Blacks from Illustrator file aren't black

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff Coleman
Blacks from Illustrator file aren't black
on Sep 18, 2009 at 4:47:18 pm

I have a black logo in an Illustrator file (CS3)

I dropped that black logo onto a Motion timeline, but the blacks aren't black. They are kind of maybe 7.5 grey or something.

I expected my logo to disappear into the black background of the motion project, but didn't.

How do I fix it so my Illustrator files have the correct black levels in Motion?

BTW this occurs in Motion 3.0.2 or Motion 4.0. One running Tiger, the other Leopard.

Return to posts index

zak peric
Re: Blacks from Illustrator file aren't black
on Sep 18, 2009 at 5:12:14 pm

This happens often. To be honest I do not know is this a problem with motion or illustrator. Anyway use the following filter and remap the colour to black, works perfectly. Motion/filters/colour _correction/tint (remap the colour to black) or YUV adjust and move the slider of Y to -1.
Let me know if this helps.

Return to posts index

Mikey Bouchereau
on Sep 18, 2009 at 11:38:50 pm

It's a CMYK to RGB conversion issue. Open the logo in Illustrator then go to File>Document Color Mode>RGB Color Then resave your logo and then drop it in motion, now the black will be black. This has been an issue with all of apple's video apps when converting CMYK to RGB. Hope that help!

Mikey B!

Return to posts index

Jeff Coleman
on Sep 19, 2009 at 12:53:47 am

Zak, thanks the filter was a quick workaround.

Mikey, CMYK to RGB was the culprit indeed! Change the Illustrator document to RGB and re-save it didn't quite exactly work however. I had to:
1. Change the Illustrator file to RGB as you mentioned: File>Document Color Mode>RGB Color
2. Change the color tab to RGB in Illustrator from CMYK.
3. Select the blacks of the image (which now display R=35, G=31, B=32) to black (R=0, G=0, B=0).
4. Save the image.
5. Black image looks black now in Motion.

Thanks again.

Return to posts index

Mikey Bouchereau
on Sep 19, 2009 at 1:01:38 am

Ah Yeah, I guess I assumed that Illustrator would keep blacks black even if it did the conversion but yeah, Motion and the rest of the Apple apps only work in RGB.

Mikey B!

Follow Me On Twitter!

Return to posts index

zak peric
on Sep 19, 2009 at 8:17:21 am

Well this was fun. Well done. I also assumed the same that with conversion of the file illustrator would change the document to black.
What is good to know that Illustrator by default produces CMYK images while photoshop produces RGB. As we all know CMYK is not good for motion graphics. I think this is important to remember in the future.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]