FORUMS: list search recent posts

Has anyone with success used the ATI 4870 in

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jan Bliddal
Has anyone with success used the ATI 4870 in
on Sep 9, 2009 at 9:57:41 am

In the first Mac Pro. I know from Barefeats and the apple Forum, that it does work in the Machine, but I would like to know how well it works in Color and Motion. Which is the only reason to buy it for my Mac Pro 2006 model. I Know the card isnĀ“t officially supportet, but 15 years selling Apple has taught me that not officially supportet translate to. The product was not available when we sold the Computer you have. We thus did not test it.

Let the machine work for you. Not you for the machine

Return to posts index

jerry leer
Re: Has anyone with success used the ATI 4870 in
on Sep 9, 2009 at 10:46:21 am

Something else that might be worth knowing is if anyone had fitted on of these mac flashed pc 4870 cards with I gig of vram and has used it in FCP/Motion/Color.
Here is an ebay link I found
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180405435955#ht_2866wt...

mmmmm.. seems o.k

Return to posts index

david bogie
on Sep 9, 2009 at 3:40:19 pm

the discussion on the older Macintosh forums on apple.com indicates the flashed PC versions of several cards are in common use and the Mac version of the ATI 3870 and 4870 can, indeed, be installed in the early generation of Intels.

I'm testing a 3870 in my first generation Intel Macintosh today (if the tech has an opening for me to come by and play around).

1. Will the Mac startup at all with the 3870 on board?
2. Will Motion run any better than it does now (which is awful)?
3. What kind of deal will they give me on two 4870s?

bogiesan

Return to posts index

Mark Crosby
on Sep 9, 2009 at 4:03:56 pm

David,
In regards to your item 3 I have read several places that ATI Crossover (SLI) is not supported under OS X in any way. Don't buy two 4870's for a single Mac Pro.

I have read success stories of flashed 4870s in the 2006 MP, so if you go this route let us know your experience. I would like to ascertain the improvement of the 4870 vs. the stock 2600 in my 2008 MP.

I saw you weighed in on a similar topic over on the Apple forum, recent posts there refer to news of the 5870 (supposedly) being out by the end of the year. Of course, the next best thing is always around the corner.

Return to posts index

david bogie
on Sep 11, 2009 at 4:27:01 pm

[Mark Crosby] "In regards to your item 3 I have read several places that ATI Crossover (SLI) is not supported under OS X in any way. Don't buy two 4870's for a single Mac Pro.

Sorry for being unclear; we're putting one in each of two identical machines.

[Mark Crosby] I have read success stories of flashed 4870s in the 2006 MP, so if you go this route let us know your experience. I would like to ascertain the improvement of the 4870 vs. the stock 2600 in my 2008 MP.

Fortunately for me, flashed PC cards is not an option our IT people would ever support. Their experience falling for Apple's marketing baloney on the original Intel's GPU, the nvidia 7300 (we have four of the useless things in each machine, FOUR!), has made them clamp down on Mac cards.

[Mark Crosby] I saw you weighed in on a similar topic over on the Apple forum, recent posts there refer to news of the 5870 (supposedly) being out by the end of the year. Of course, the next best thing is always around the corner."

No doubt the 5870 will be faster, bigger, cheaper, and come in a cooler color but I got money approved to spend today! The cards should arrive in a week or so. Ill try to psot notes about our experience in the relevant forums. On Apple, that will be FCP and Motion. I'll start a new thread locally.

bogiesan

Return to posts index

david bogie
on Sep 15, 2009 at 7:35:55 pm

I've started a new thread.

bogiesan

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]