FORUMS: list search recent posts

NVidia FX 4800?

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Campbell
NVidia FX 4800?
on Sep 8, 2009 at 2:14:29 pm

I've recently posted about which graphics card to upgrade to and was about to go with the Radeon 4870, but someone turned my attention to the NVidia 4800. Has anyone tested this card yet? Does it and how does it perform with FCS 2?

Would the 1.5gb of GDDR3 video memory on the 4800 card or the 512mb of GDDR5 video memory on the 4870 perform better?

Again, any help is greatly appreciated! Trying to find the best bang for the buck and I figure who better to ask than the COW pros that use this stuff everyday.

OS 10.5.5, Mac Pro 2 x 3 ghz quad-core intel xenon, 9 gb ram, with BM Intensity Pro card

Return to posts index

Jim Johnson
Re: NVidia FX 4800?
on Sep 8, 2009 at 4:33:22 pm

Howdy,

Quadros are pretty much designed to accelerate specific industrial design apps like AutoCAD, which doesn't even run on the Mac. Historically, they have been poor performers on the kind of tasks that Motion does. The ATI 4870 costs a fraction of the price and does as well or better. Bare Feats has some benchmarks here: http://www.barefeats.com/nehal10.html

Return to posts index

Matt Campbell
on Sep 8, 2009 at 4:49:20 pm

Great thanks. Was not aware of it being used mainly for 3D apps. Thats cool. Thanks for the info. As others have told me, the 4870 sounds like the way to go.

However, one last question, with the 4870 only having 1 dual-link DVI port and me running two Eizo displays via DVI connections, are there miniDisplay to DVI adapters that will work with my monitors and allow for an expanded desktop?

OS 10.5.5, Mac Pro 2 x 3 ghz quad-core intel xenon, 9 gb ram, with BM Intensity Pro card

Return to posts index

Mark Petereit
on Sep 8, 2009 at 6:15:43 pm

OK, I don't have one, but when I look at the picture and the specs on ATI's web site, it clearly shows two full dual-link DVI connectors.

Return to posts index

Mark Crosby
on Sep 8, 2009 at 6:45:58 pm

The only specs on the ATI website are PC based cards. The official Apple supported model is only found on Apples Store (search for Radeon) and includes 1 DL-DVI and 1 Mini DisplayPort.

I have read about some users flashing the BIOS on the PC based card to make it work in OS X.

Return to posts index

Mark Petereit
on Sep 8, 2009 at 7:32:12 pm

Ah! I stand corrected. Thanks for the clarification, since I'm just about to fill out a req for one of these. I think you just saved my bacon!

Return to posts index

Matt Campbell
on Sep 8, 2009 at 7:59:51 pm

Yeah, thanks Mark. Do you know if miniDisplay to DVI adapters will work for running dual displays?

Return to posts index

Mark Petereit
on Sep 8, 2009 at 8:30:00 pm

Same as what you have now, except that one of your monitors will plug in through the adapter. No change at all in how it works in system prefs.

Return to posts index

Matt Campbell
on Sep 8, 2009 at 8:36:08 pm

First off, thanks for everyone's posts. Secondly, was just curious about the adapter thing because I've read some threads where people were having issues with the mini display port dumping the digital signal and only outputting analog.

I'm just being overly cautious and want to make sure I have it all worked out before we put our money into it. Making sure of no quality loss or anything like that.

Thanks again.

Return to posts index

Mark Petereit
on Sep 8, 2009 at 8:02:11 pm

Matt Campbell> are there miniDisplay to DVI adapters that will work with my monitors and allow for an expanded desktop?

Yes. Apple has one for $29. I've seen third party adapters for less.

Return to posts index

Winston A. Cely
on May 15, 2010 at 8:20:12 pm

I'm about to spring for the 4870, but I was reading all the questions on Apple's website about this card, and now I'm getting confused. My Mac Pro has the Model Identifier of "MacPro1,1" and some responses on Apple's site have said that I can use the 4870, while others are saying I can't use this card (both positive and negative response have been marked as "Best Answer").

I have had nothing but trouble with the x1900xt (I'm on my second one now -thank you Apple Care - and it's starting to give me trouble) and I was waiting to see if Apple would update the line of Mac Pros and therefore hopefully upgrade the line of graphics cards offered. Now, having read that I may not be able to upgrade to the latest greatest because of the age of my computer (bought at the end of '07) I need to move forward with getting a card. I use Motion every day, and I'm getting more and more requests for work from Motion that is 3D space oriented, and would therefore tax the card a great deal. I can't afford to wait for long renders, or worse, trouble shooting because my graphics card suck *cough, x1900xt *cough. I have no problem springing for an expensive card, but it's got to be compatible with and be the best available for Motion 4.

BTW, I also checked the "Tech Specs" via Apple's site for Motion 4 and it doesn't list all the card it'll work with. It just says Nvidia or ATI. Any help pointing me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Winston A. Cely
Editor/Owner | Della St. Media, LLC

Mac Pro 3GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon
8 GB RAM | Final Cut Studio 3 | Aja Kona LHe

"If you can talk brilliantly enough about a subject, you can create the consoling allusion it has been mastered." - Stanley Kubrick

Return to posts index

Winston A. Cely
on May 17, 2010 at 1:59:48 pm

Just bumping this to the top, to see if anyone has had a chance to read it.

Winston A. Cely

"If you can talk brilliantly enough about a subject, you can create the consoling illusion it has been mastered." - Stanley Kubrick

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
on May 17, 2010 at 2:02:14 pm

My understanding is you need a PCIe (express) slot for the 4870 to work so you need to determine if you MacPro has that - I thought all MacPros did but not sure...

--
Mark Spencer
Freelance Producer/Editor/Motion Graphics Artist
Apple-certified Master Trainer
Author, Motion 4 from Peachpit Press
http://www.applemotion.net

Return to posts index

Winston A. Cely
on May 17, 2010 at 2:10:47 pm

Thanks Mark!

Yup, all Mac Pro's have the PCIe. What was confusing me on Apple's website were the "Questions & Answers" section. Some people are suggesting that the 4870 will not work in earlier Mac Pro's (like mine with the identifier 1,1), some are suggesting that it's not supported on earlier Mac Pro's even though it will run, and other posts are saying it runs great.

Like I say, the money's not the issue, it's just making sure that I'm not wasting it on something that won't improve my performance with Motion and overall work.

Has anyone had luck with the 4870 on an early Mac Pro (model identifier 1,1)?

PS, Am I the only one who wishes that Apple would name their different revisions of desktops computers with actual names, and not just numbers or years? It gets kinda confusing, when everyone uses a different way - Early 2008, late 2009, etc - to identify them.

Winston A. Cely

"If you can talk brilliantly enough about a subject, you can create the consoling illusion it has been mastered." - Stanley Kubrick

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]