FORUMS: list search recent posts

No wipes in Motion?

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Phil Williams
No wipes in Motion?
on Sep 3, 2009 at 1:07:08 pm

Am I right in thinking that Motion does not provide any specific wipe functionality, apart from the directional fade in/fade out behaviours for text animation? Or is there something hiding somewhere that I've missed?

Return to posts index

Arnie Schlissel
Re: No wipes in Motion?
on Sep 3, 2009 at 1:43:52 pm

You should be able to easily build wipes using animated mattes or luma mattes. The luma mattes can be found on the web- google "alpha wipes", or build your own in Photoshop or Illustrator.

Arnie

Post production is not an afterthought!
http://www.arniepix.com/

Return to posts index

Phil Williams
on Sep 3, 2009 at 1:58:39 pm

Yes, I've been building my own wipes up till now, but it just seems weird that Motion forces you to go the long way round for something very basic when the philosophy behind things like behaviours is to simplify and speed up what would otherwise be very complex and time-consuming!

Return to posts index

Jim Johnson
on Sep 3, 2009 at 3:38:08 pm

Howdy,

I think the idea is that wipes, which are a very editorial-type task, are something usually done during editing, i.e. in FCP.

Return to posts index

Phil Williams
on Sep 3, 2009 at 10:35:50 pm

That's kind of a strange assumption on Apple's part if true... wipes are a fundamental tool of motion graphic design after all, and plenty of people don't use FCP as part of the design process, they import all their assets directly into Motion.

All the other motion graphics apps I've used provide specific wipe functionality... when you're about 20 layers deep and you think "You know what would be cool? A soft-edged diagonal wipe bringing that element on", you don't really want to have to change apps to find purpose-built tools for doing it.

But I guess when you're offering cool stuff like behaviours it's easy to overlook the need for boring basic things like wipes! :)

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Sep 7, 2009 at 12:30:16 pm

Phil,
I've wanted a page wipe forever. Most people think that is a cheesy effect and should never be included. I've created some really awesome stuff with the AE page wipe. Stuff most would never guess was created with that plug-in. Maybe next version I hope. If only I new a big wig at Apple : - )

Stephen Smith
Lone Peak Productions

Check out the TV Show Open I did.

Check out my DVD Money Making Graphics & Effects for Final Cut Studio 2

Return to posts index

Marcus Pun
on Mar 23, 2011 at 4:41:59 am

Good lord why does Apple think that it can reinvent the wheel as a triangle and expect to go freeway speeds?

Wipes need to be easy to apply and quickly adjustable. Which is why I use After Effects. Select clip, go to Effect>Transition> Linear wipe, or any other one, that's it. Adjust to taste

Motion. Open Photoshop, or whatever. Create matte, add blur
save. import into Motion. Pray to god that you have the right width.
and of course you can try to adjust the key to adjust the width. maybe it will work maybe not. and you want to dynamically change the width of the wipe during the transition?

Or you can buy the boris FX package for 1600 dollars. OR for 999 dollars you can buy Adobe CS4 Production Premium for Mac on ebay. today. For 1600 bucks you can upgrade your AE7 or other upgradable Adobe equivalent to the full CS 5 production suite.

Motion has too many frustration points for this old linear editor. I like things done fast and with dedicated functions that I can quickly access.

I ended up several years ago finding a nice cheap 5.0 version -a hundred bucks for PC version of Production bundle, then upgraded to 6.5 on the cheap (I love Ebay) then upgraded for a couple of hundred to AE CS4.
I'm all set and can upgrade to a full CS5 when I get or build my new PC or if I break down and buy a new Mac.

Return to posts index

Chris Walsh
on Sep 17, 2011 at 6:39:30 pm

Thanks for this, even though it's an old post. Just spent 30 minutes looking through behaviours for where they stuck the wipes (since all other FCP fx are available).

Google pointed me to your post, which confirmed the unbelievable fact that there aren't any preset wipes in Motion.

I can buy wipes as plugins apparently, but I think that money is better spent on Adobe crossgrade.

Chris Walsh

http://www.musicfog.com
Silver Spring, MD
Final Cut & AVID MC5
Former Windows User and edit* lover

Return to posts index

Paul Roper
on Mar 2, 2012 at 11:42:38 pm

Me too - hunting around for the wipes....did a search in Motion's "help" (search:wipe results:none). One of the many, many reasons why I detest Motion (and have used it for a grand total of about 1 hour throughout my 15 year career in motion graphics) and adore After Effects.

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
on Mar 2, 2012 at 11:44:54 pm

You can make your own pretty easy using a Replicator and an image mask - in fact, there are quite a few preset Replicators in the Library for doing just that.

--
Mark Spencer
Freelance Producer/Editor/Motion Graphics Artist
Apple-certified Master Trainer
Author, Motion 4 from Peachpit Press
http://www.applemotion.net

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]