FORUMS: list search recent posts

Motion 3 Commands Missing

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Keith Hill
Motion 3 Commands Missing
on Aug 31, 2009 at 10:00:16 pm

Hello,

I'm in Motion 3 and I've noticed that my File, Library and Inspector windows are missing. And, when I select Command +1, 2 or 3 nothing happens. All other commands are working. Also, when I have a, say, a photoshop image in the canvas and I select it with my HUD showing and I click on the Inspector icon in the HUD nothing appears.

Does this sound familiar to anyone. I need to get this resolved but I'm stumped.

Thanks Keith

Keith Hill
Lighted Path Films | Productions
http://www.LightedPath.biz
creator of TheJudahSet.com
Dallas, TX
G5 2Ghz, OS X (v10.4.11), Final Cut Studio 2 | Combustion 2008 | Cinema4D | Mocha | DVX100A 24p

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
Re: Motion 3 Commands Missing
on Sep 1, 2009 at 2:33:58 pm

If you are in the File Browser and hit the Command and 1 keys it will disappear. If you hit the Command and 1 keys again it will re-appear. But you already know that. So I think the unfortunate answer is: Trash your Preferences. Here is an article on how to do that: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1885
Hope this helps.

Stephen Smith
Lone Peak Productions

Check out the TV Show Open I did.

Check out my DVD Money Making Graphics & Effects for Final Cut Studio 2

Return to posts index

Keith Hill
on Sep 1, 2009 at 3:48:07 pm

Thanks. I found that link in a thread yesterday and performed the un-install.

There appears to be a problem with Motion 3.0.2 operating on my PPC OS X 10.4.11 because when I did the install of Motion 2 everything was fine. When I did the upgrades to make it current the File Browser, Library and Inspector window have disappeared again. This is a bug of some sort. It appears that I need to stay on Motion 2 or something to get my work done.

Keith Hill
Dallas, TX
G5 2Ghz, OS X (v10.4.11), Final Cut Studio 2 | Combustion 2008 | Cinema4D | Mocha | DVX100A 24p

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Sep 1, 2009 at 3:53:45 pm

Sorry Keith, I've never heard of that before. This must be very frustrating. I wonder if Motion 4 would work better. Only $299 for an upgrade.

Stephen Smith
Lone Peak Productions

Return to posts index

Keith Hill
on Sep 1, 2009 at 4:12:44 pm

Yes, very frustrating.

Well, I went over to the Apple Support Forum and found someone having the same problem when their Inspector was missing. They did the following:

After quitting Motion...

1. Hit Shift-Command-H
2. Click on Library folder
3. Click on Preferences folder
4. Find 'com.apple.motion.plist' (list should be alphabetical so it shouldn't be hard to find) and drag to trash
5. Restart Motion - everything should be fine now

THIS HAS WORKED!

Thing is though. I did this before performing the un-install and it didn't help. I, then did the un-install, then upgrades to 3.0.2 and got the problem back and now followed the above instructions and the commands, browsers are back. Very strange. I hope this problem doesn't come back.

Hopefully this can help someone else.

Thanks for looking at this with me, Stephen.

Keith Hill
Dallas, TX

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Sep 1, 2009 at 4:45:01 pm

Good find. Thanks for sharing with the rest of us. Best of luck on your project.

Stephen Smith
Lone Peak Productions

Return to posts index

Edward Bellamy
on Dec 16, 2010 at 1:26:43 am

Guys, excellent advice, after having encountered the same problem the un-install/ re-install route led to a temporary fix, but deleting the plist. has appeared to provide an ultimate fix. What a strange problem, expecially considering my previous version of 3.0.2 had been running perfectly!
Anyway thanks again.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]