FORUMS: list search recent posts

Jumpy Movies and playback

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff Coleman
Jumpy Movies and playback
on Aug 20, 2009 at 7:19:43 pm

Have you heard of this?
In Motion 3.0.2 a simple still over black sliding across the screen looks jumpy when playing inside Motion and then when that timeline is exported as a QT movie and is dropped inside FCP timeline, (but smooth playing out through its Kona or IO.)
The project is SD. I've exported as animation, DV and Uncompressed 10bit all with the same results.
If I play the movie exported from Motion in Quicktime Player it looks jumpy. Going slowly it appears all the frames are there, but QT can't seem to play the movie smoothly.
So if I make an H264 movie for the web it too looks jumpy. Looking at that H264 movie on a PC shows what looks like a field order problem of some sort with blocks of horizontal lines kinda shifted left or right of where they're supposed to be.
Any ideas what might be causing this and how to fix it?

I've had the same results playing this file on the machine it was created on= MacIntel 2x3 GHz Quad-Core Xeon 2008 running Tiger 10.4.11, Motion 3.0.2, FCP 6.0.4, and QT Players 7.2 and 7.5 (don't know why both versions are available), 16-bay SAN
And also playing this file on a MacBookPro 2.6GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, running Leopard 10.5.7, and QT Player 7.6.2, Motion 3.0.2, eSATA 2-Drive RAID and FW800 SATA external drive.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
Re: Jumpy Movies and playback
on Aug 20, 2009 at 7:23:52 pm

Is the render quality set to Best?

Stephen Smith
Lone Peak Productions

Check out the TV Show Open I did.

Check out my DVD Money Making Graphics & Effects for Final Cut Studio 2

Return to posts index

Jeff Coleman
on Aug 20, 2009 at 7:59:34 pm

It wasn't but setting it to Best on both machines may have made a slight improvement it still renders a somewhat jumpy movie.

Return to posts index

Jeff Coleman
on Aug 21, 2009 at 10:51:48 pm

I've done some further testing and am a bit mystified.
The effect I'm trying is:
One layer.
One still photo scaled to 50%.
Two keyframes so the photo travels from off-screen right to off-screen left in 6 seconds in a standard def (720x486) interlaced frame.
I've rendered it to Uncompressed 10bit, Animation and DV.

Motion can't play it smoothly in a timeline.
Motion can't render a QT movie that plays in QT Player smoothly.
After Effects yields the same results.

Both macs yield the same results in Motion. Only desktop has AE installed.

Return to posts index

Jeff Coleman
on Aug 24, 2009 at 2:51:30 pm

Just had a friend confirm the above results.
He used AE on a macbook pro and a desktop system both running Leopard and the latest QT. He could not get the movie to play back without jumping on either system.
How about you?

Return to posts index

Nick Pitcavage
on Sep 9, 2009 at 7:09:05 pm

I am having the same issue with After Effects, using:
Progressive
When I render the file, I use PhotoJpg at 50%

I actually have about 200 photos moving from right to left, going with the lyrics of a song, during the verse. There are also rays in the background with the "Shine" effect on them playing through out the entire composition.

There are particles during the chorus only, and text masked on during the chorus only. The particles, text and rays play fine, with no glitches or jitters, but as soon as I render the photos with the composition, it jumps, stutters and jitters.

Does anyone have a work-around to this problem?

I am trying various codecs and settings today to try to fix this issue.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]