FORUMS: list search recent posts

light source facing camera

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ariane Fisher
light source facing camera
on Aug 20, 2009 at 3:14:03 pm

Is there a way in Motion 3 to have a light source face the camera? As a workaround, I was able to add a glow to a circle so that it looks like a light source, but of course, couldn't get any light rays to emanate.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
Re: light source facing camera
on Aug 20, 2009 at 7:21:43 pm

Try the light rays filter in the glow category.

Stephen Smith
Lone Peak Productions

Check out the TV Show Open I did.

Check out my DVD Money Making Graphics & Effects for Final Cut Studio 2

Return to posts index

Ariane Fisher
on Aug 20, 2009 at 9:07:53 pm

Yes, I did try that. I can get the circle to glow, but the maximum expanse on the light rays doesn't expand very far at all. I also tried all the other glow filters and a combination of them. Is this possible with Motion 4? I'm not looking for shadows or reflections at this point, just a light source with rays emanating. Like you would see if the spot light shined at the camera.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Aug 21, 2009 at 4:20:00 pm

If you put the object in a group and add the filter to the group you can get the light rays to go farther sometimes.

Stephen Smith
Lone Peak Productions

Return to posts index

Ariane Fisher
on Aug 21, 2009 at 9:42:55 pm

Thanks for your help. I tried it. While it does make the circle and glow get quite a bit bigger, it's not quite what I'm looking for. The glow is still very, very close to the circle. I guess what I'm looking for is a large circular gradient of light coming out of the circle. Now that I put it into words, I'll try and duplicate it in Motion. I'm just not sure that it's do-able in Motion 3 (or 4 for that matter). Is this one of those things I would need AE for?

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Aug 25, 2009 at 2:12:09 pm

Any way you can post an example of what you would like to do?

Stephen Smith
Lone Peak Productions

Return to posts index

Ariane Fisher
on Aug 25, 2009 at 3:27:52 pm

Thanks so much for your help. I think what I created just might work for me, with a little tweaking. It's supposed to look like a light source with rays emanating. If I add some flickering, clean up the gradient, and use it in the background, it should be good. Let me know if you have any other suggestions to make it more realistic.

Hopefully I got the embed code figured out.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Aug 25, 2009 at 4:23:17 pm

Excellent, I'm happy you created what you wanted.

Stephen Smith
Lone Peak Productions

Return to posts index

Ariane Fisher
on Aug 25, 2009 at 4:46:33 pm

I forgot to post how I did it, in case anyone would like to duplicate this effect.

I created a circle, filled it with yellow, and made sure it was centered at 0,0. I then added the following filters: light rays, glow, aura, and bloom. I maxed out the "amount" setting on bloom and light rays.

I then created a second group called rays. In this group I created two circles. The first was a very large one filled with a white-to-yellow radial gradient. I then added an image mask to this circle. The second circle was the same size as the first, filled with a grayscale radial gradient. Both gradients need to start at 0,0. On the grayscale circle, the gradient needs to end at a large negative number. In this case I used -395. Both circles in the rays group need to be positioned at 0,0 to perfectly align with the first one. I dropped the grayscale circle into the image mask of the yellow gradient circle and set the source channel to luminance.

With the rays group behind the original circle, you get this effect.

Thanks again for your help.

Return to posts index

Winston A. Cely
on Aug 29, 2009 at 2:41:43 pm

What about using the lens flare filter? I don't really like the one that's built into Motion because it only resembles what a flare might look like if directly facing into the camera. If the pic you posted is what you're looking for the lens flare filter might be a nice touch. I just wish it would mimic what a lens flare does when at an angle, but there are a bunch of companies making more realistic lens flares.

Winston A. Cely
Editor/Owner | Della St. Media, LLC

Mac Pro 3GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon
4 GB RAM | Final Cut Studio 5.1.4 | Aja Kona LHe

"If you can talk brilliantly enough about a subject, you can create the consoling allusion it has been mastered." - Stanley Kubrick

Return to posts index

Ariane Fisher
on Sep 1, 2009 at 2:39:25 pm

Thank you so much! That's exactly what I was looking for, when combined with the other effects. I was missing the streaks of light.

Return to posts index

Ariane Fisher
on Oct 13, 2009 at 4:49:06 pm

Just wanted to update you that I finally finished my project. It's up on the demo reels section. Thanks for your help. Here's the link:

http://reels.creativecow.net/film/reeltimedvd-company-open-alternate-versio...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]