FORUMS: list search recent posts

Replacing Layered Photoshop File

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sam Peckham
Replacing Layered Photoshop File
on Jul 28, 2009 at 11:44:50 am

I've looked around here and searched elsewhere and found what to do, but for me it's not working.

I have a photoshop file that I imported as layers (56 of them), I've animated a few parts, but mostly done camera work with it. Now on the final draft I need to make a couple of changes to some of the layers.

I've tried the Media Inspector -> Replace Media Button, and the name changes to the new file name, but that's it. The linked objects (layers box) in the inspector still shows the same number of layers in the same positions and the canvas just shows the old file.

I also tried dragging and dropping over the old file to replace, and again nothing actually happens.

Have I missed something out? Do I need to take the file offline first, or refresh somewhere?

Thanks
Sam

PS. I tried replacing the photoshop file with a random image file and it worked just as expected, no trace of the old file. Just seems to be doing it with psd files nothing happens.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
Re: Replacing Layered Photoshop File
on Jul 29, 2009 at 3:12:59 pm

If you have say 5 layers in the psd and then you go back into Photo shop and add a 6th layer the psd is no longer the same and can't be re-linked as far as I'm aware. If you change the order of the layers in Photoshop it will change the layers in Motion and mess things up as well. If you are only swapping out a layer or to I think you should re-import just those layers and make changes. If you want to swap attributes then you should select the layer with the attributes you want and select say the Rotation text in the Properties tab of the inspector. Drag it over to the other layer and it will take on the Rotation parameters. You can also just drag a new layer over the old one on the Project Pan, hover it over it until you get a hooked shaped arrow. Then let go and it swaps the old layer with the new one. Hope this helps.

Stephen Smith
Lone Peak Productions

Check out the TV Show Open I did.

Check out my DVD Money Making Graphics & Effects for Final Cut Studio 2

Return to posts index

Sam Peckham
Re: Replacing Layered Photoshop File
on Aug 7, 2009 at 3:28:10 pm

Thanks for this reply. I did only have some simple repositioning changes to make. But the problem was removing one of the layers and adding another, that either screwed the photoshop file or caused nothing to happen. In the end I made the changes in the Motion canvas and just deleted the layers I didn't want there.

I've only just noticed the 'choose layer' option, that would have helped too (as per your suggestion). Anyway project done, on to the next problem...

No really it's in another post!

Thanks again.
Sam

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]