FORUMS: list search recent posts

Quick question about where to save Motion files

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
peter dunphy
Quick question about where to save Motion files
on Jul 25, 2009 at 9:35:52 pm

Hi guys

Bit confused - probably a stupid question but please bear with me - I'm wondering how and where I should 'save as' Motion Projects I've created?

On my Desktop I have my small Project folder for my entire project, so I'm assuming that I 'save as' my Motion Project into this folder. However, what about all the 'big' files Motion generates (collected media etc)?

Does Motion know to automatically dump this stuff onto my external hard drive, or do I have to instruct it to do this?

So far on my external hard drive I have my standard Final Cut Pro Documents folder which contains my capture scratch etc. Do my 'big' Motion files automatically go into the Final Cut Pro Documents folder?

Any thoughts whatsoever would be really appreciated.

Peter

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Stephen Smith
Re: Quick question about where to save Motion files
on Jul 27, 2009 at 1:55:52 pm

What do you mean by big files? Motion plays everything in real time so it is not generating any files. If you are talking about the Cashe files Motion generates when it does say a Ram preview the default it set to your systems drive. All of your Apps should be using up your systems drive. That is way I have an additional hard drive installed in my computer that is for Projects files, artwork, music, etc. I hope this response was of some help.

Stephen Smith
Lone Peak Productions

Check out the TV Show Open I did.

Check out my DVD Money Making Graphics & Effects for Final Cut Studio 2

Return to posts index

peter dunphy
on Jul 28, 2009 at 10:44:08 am

Hi Stephen

Thanks for your kind response - I really appreciate it.

I've watched some of your tutorials here and found them to be very good - in particular a templates tutorial I watched was excellent.

Could you just clarify a couple more things for me please? They probably seem like really dumb questions but I just wanted to play safe and be absolutely clear before delving into Motion properly. I've had a hunt in the forum archive but have gotten myself confused on what I guess should be pretty simple things in Motion!

I have a 1 TB boot/system drive (which has my overall Project folder 'SM01' on it) with my MacPro and an external D800 Raid 5 (which has my Final Cut Pro Documents folder on it)

1. When I click 'Save As' in Motion should I be saving to my 1TB system boot drive in my overall Projects folder 'SM01' with 'Collect Media' ticked?

2. Or, should I 'Save As' directly to my external D800 Raid 5, again with 'Collect Media' ticked?

3. Or should I keep 'Collect Media' always unticked?

4. I'm importing ProRes 422 material into Motion (which I'd captured via HDV-ProRes422) - is the * HDV 1080i50 preset still okay for me to use despite the footage being ProRes?

Any thoughts whatsoever on any aspect of the above would be really appreciated.

Peter

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Stephen Smith
on Jul 29, 2009 at 3:25:47 pm

Peter,
Thanks for watching my tutorials, I appreciate that.

All of the tech guys that I've talked to recommend that you only have your applications on your boot/systems drive. With the Mac Pro you have extra slots for internal Serial ATA drive that are dirt cheap know. I bought a 1TB drive for like 200 bucks not to long ago. I would recommend that you buy one and put all of your project files, art work and music on it. I would put my capture scratch on the external drive. I think that is a ideal setup.

That being said, I'm not an engineer but under your current set up I would save everything to the Raid 5. If a drive goes out you still have your stuff. Plus your applications doesn't have to compete with your project files and stuff.

Hope this helps.

Stephen Smith
Lone Peak Productions

Return to posts index

peter dunphy
on Jul 30, 2009 at 10:13:31 pm

Hi Stephen

Yes that's very helpful thanks - much appreciated and Kudos!

All the best

Peter

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jul 31, 2009 at 4:46:13 pm

Peter,
Happy to help. Not sure about the HDV question, I use something else so I would re-post your last question. That way it will get some fresh eyes on it. Best of luck.

Stephen Smith
Lone Peak Productions

Return to posts index

peter dunphy
on Jul 30, 2009 at 11:24:00 pm

Could I just get anyone's thoughts on this please?:

I'm importing ProRes 422 material into Motion (which I'd captured via HDV-ProRes422) - is the HDV 1080i50 preset still okay for me to use despite the footage being ProRes?

Thanks in advance.

Peter

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]