FORUMS: list search recent posts

Motion Tracking, Jumps like crazy

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Winston A. Cely
Motion Tracking, Jumps like crazy
on Jul 21, 2009 at 3:17:56 pm

SO I must misunderstand how to use the motion tracking behavior in Motion. What I have is an image of a box that I need to track over an older box. I've got my base video layer that is 10-bit uncompressed in Motion (though I will say it's got some field banding that happens about every 4 or 5 frames) and the above layer is the box I want to track over the footage.

From what I've read, you need a good high contrast pixel to put your tracking point on, so I select my image of the box, put a Motion Tracking Behavior on it, (it automatically selects the video below) and I drag my tracking point to a nice contrasty area. As soon as I hit analyze, it'll do one of the following depending on where I put the tracking point: go a few frames and stop, jump wildly all over the place until it gets to the end, or draw up and down the right side of the screen.

The footage itself is a tracking shot with the box slowly coming on from the right, so I start the motion tracking behavior on the box in the video when it's still outside of picture safe. Since that area is going to get cut off, I don't mind the box "jumping" on from that point on.

Basically, I'm not getting any reliable tracking. Even when it gets pretty close to tracking smoothly, the tracking will stutter a bit making it not flow properly.

I've tried deinterlacing the footage, blurring it, contrasting the hell out of it, desaturating it to black and white, doing the black and white and then contrasting it so it's got no gradation just black and white, and nothing will work. What the hell is going on with the thing? Any suggestions?

Winston A. Cely
Editor/Owner | Della St. Media, LLC

Mac Pro 3GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon
4 GB RAM | Final Cut Studio 5.1.4 | Aja Kona LHe

"If you can talk brilliantly enough about a subject, you can create the consoling allusion it has been mastered." - Stanley Kubrick

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
Re: Motion Tracking, Jumps like crazy
on Jul 21, 2009 at 3:24:07 pm

Can you post the clip you want to track so we can see it? Did you do any speed changes to the clip?

Stephen Smith
Lone Peak Productions

Check out the TV Show Open I did.

Check out my DVD Money Making Graphics & Effects for Final Cut Studio 2

Return to posts index

Winston A. Cely
on Jul 21, 2009 at 3:35:13 pm

There are no speed changes. Here's the clip:

Winston A. Cely

"If you can talk brilliantly enough about a subject, you can create the consoling allusion it has been mastered." - Stanley Kubrick

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jul 21, 2009 at 3:37:27 pm

I can't seem to play the clip. Can you check the code?

Stephen Smith
Lone Peak Productions

Return to posts index

Winston A. Cely
on Jul 21, 2009 at 3:39:16 pm

I can't get this thing to work. Here's the link to my MobileMe gallery:
http://gallery.me.com/della.st.media#100009

Winston A. Cely

Return to posts index

Winston A. Cely
on Jul 21, 2009 at 3:25:14 pm

BTW, I've tried putting the tracker in multiple places all over the video, and it's continuing to do the same thing.

Winston A. Cely

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jul 21, 2009 at 3:50:11 pm

Okay, I see the field banding. There are a few ways to fix it but I think the essayist is to de-interlace it. I know you said you already tried that. If you de-interlace the clip in Motion it throws the Tracker off. De-interlace the clip in FCP and then export it out as a new clip. This is called "baking". That will solve the problem if the de-interlace filter gets rid of the field banding. Also, the shot looks great. Hope this helps.

Stephen Smith
Lone Peak Productions

Return to posts index

Winston A. Cely
on Jul 21, 2009 at 3:51:38 pm

Thanks for your help Stephen. I hadn't tried de-interlacing in FCP yet. I'll let you know how it goes.

Winston A. Cely

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jul 21, 2009 at 4:14:03 pm

Fingers crossed. Unfortunately Motion's Trackers do not respond well to time remaping and other stuff.

Stephen Smith
Lone Peak Productions

Return to posts index

Winston A. Cely
on Jul 21, 2009 at 4:10:44 pm

Thanks Stephen! That's giving me 100 times better results. I still need to some minor tweaking, but you saved me from throwing out my computer!

Winston A. Cely

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jul 21, 2009 at 4:17:15 pm

Yes, happy to hear. By the way, if you are tracking the box closest the the lady I would track the edge of the blue cloth, because it comes in before the box and that will keep it smooth. Happy to help.

Stephen Smith
Lone Peak Productions

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]