FORUMS: list search recent posts

ProAnimator FX - In motion. No 'True' 3d?

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
chris gormlie
ProAnimator FX - In motion. No 'True' 3d?
on Jul 12, 2009 at 1:06:24 pm

Hi, I am using a demo of proanimator fx with motion and am a wee bit stumpted.

My understanding from watching the demo vids, talking to a few folks etc, was that essentially PAfx could work as a way of importing 3d objects into Motion.

Ultimately I am looking for a way to import .obj files into 3d space in motion, and I found it pretty easy to do so, however, once back in motion the object appears to be on a 2d plane and any motion camera moves treat the PAfx layer as such.

While i understand i can animate the 3d object within PAfx, given the nature of the projects I will be working on, that would be impractical.

Am I flogging a dead horse here trying to make PAfx do something it can't, or am I missing something obvious in the workflow.

Thanks

Return to posts index

david bogie
Re: ProAnimator FX - In motion. No 'True' 3d?
on Jul 14, 2009 at 9:22:25 pm

[chris gormlie] "Am I flogging a dead horse here trying to make PAfx do something it can't, or am I missing something obvious in the workflow. "

We hit lots of virtual equines around here. Great fun. No one gets hurt, no blood is spilled.

All standard compositors act with flat 2D objects hanging in 3D space. We like to call it Screens In A Dark Garage. You can project stuff on the screens but that's it, you can't make the screens into 3D objects. True 3D systems are available for Motion and After Effects but they come in as 2D layers, or collections of layers; the only things Motion and AE understand.

If you need true 3d, you need a full 3d system. Then you'd use AE to do compositing and other tricks up- or downstream of your 3D system.

bogiesan

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]