FORUMS: list search recent posts

Motion hardware requirements

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ariane Fisher
Motion hardware requirements
on Jul 7, 2009 at 6:26:07 pm

I have a brand new 2009 8-core 2.26 GHz Mac Pro, Nehalem processor, 8 GB RAM, stock video card. It's sucking wind on render times. Even compared to my 2006 Mac Pro with 6GB RAM, ATI x1900 video card. I didn't get the ATI4870 video card because it had such mixed reviews and I had a horrible time with the x1900.

I have a 12 second template with 3 lights, a camera, 6 moving drop zones, blend modes, etc. It's an intense file, but 6 minutes to render the template is ridiculous, and way more than it took before. I checked activity monitor and it only seems to be using 2GB RAM. I called AppleCare and they gave me the stock answer, of "Motion can only ever use 2GB RAM max because it's not a 64 bit program." I didn't think that was true.

Any ideas of what I can do to get more speed out of my system?

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Motion hardware requirements
on Jul 9, 2009 at 12:35:08 am

Have you Software updated recently- there was an update for new machines that might help.

Noah

Writing RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color.
Now featuring the Lens Adapter Guidebook, Sony EX1 Guidebook,
DVD Studio Pro and How to Light Interviews.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Ariane Fisher
on Jul 9, 2009 at 1:47:47 am

Thanks. I'm on Motion 3.0.2. I tried Software Update again just to be sure. It's almost painful how slow it is. Anything I can do to get the computer to use more than 2GB of RAM? Or both processors? I would've thought having 512MB of VRAM would be sufficient, considering that's what I had in the X1900 card on my 2006 MacPro with 5 GB RAM.

Return to posts index

Ariane Fisher
on Jul 9, 2009 at 3:10:19 pm

Further testing. This morning I'm doing 3D templates without lights and cameras, but still have multiple drop zones, blend modes, etc. and they're getting done in 40 seconds or less. Anyone think the GT120 card might just suck with lights? Also, any thoughts on getting both processors or all 8 GB RAM to kick in?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]