FORUMS: list search recent posts

End Credit Titles Jerky

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Locke
End Credit Titles Jerky
on Jul 1, 2009 at 2:10:35 am

Does anyone have an idea why the scrolling text for end credits would be jerky? There are only two keyframes... one at the beginning of the scroll and one at the end, and it's simple one column scroll up motion.

Return to posts index

Jason Diebler
Re: End Credit Titles Jerky
on Jul 1, 2009 at 2:39:48 pm

Did you export using Canvas Settings, or not on Full res/Best render?

"The deepest blues are black" - Foo Fighters
(this doesn't help me when I'm chroma keying!)

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jul 1, 2009 at 2:49:05 pm

Is the jerky look within the text, if so that could be an interlacing problem.

Stephen Smith
Lone Peak Productions

Check out my DVD Money Making Graphics & Effects for Final Cut Studio 2

Return to posts index

John Locke
on Jul 1, 2009 at 2:59:21 pm

Stephen,

Yes,come to think of it, it's just the text that's jerky. There's a smooth background animation going on at the same time that isn't affected.

The clip is setup as Broadcast HD 1080i60. I'm completely new to Motion... can you recommend what I should look for in the settings?

Return to posts index

Jason Diebler
on Jul 1, 2009 at 3:21:58 pm

John,
I'm glad we solved it. Just remember that if you set up your project as Broadcast HD 1080i60 then that's what you should export as.

It's okay to use export "Current Project and Canvas Settings" if you're just running tests to preview your project, and it's okay to work in a 1/2, 1/3, or 1/4 res, as well as draft or normal render (in fact this will likely speed your workflow). Just make sure you switch these to Full res & Best Render Quality before your final output.

"The deepest blues are black" - Foo Fighters
(this doesn't help me when I'm chroma keying!)

Return to posts index

John Locke
on Jul 1, 2009 at 3:51:23 pm

Still a bit confused. Although there is a setting to set up the Motion file called "Broadcast HD 1080i60", when I go to export it, that setting doesn't exist.

We shot originally on a Canon HD camera, 1920x1080 resolution. So, I chose "Broadcast HD 1080i60" since it had the 1920x1080 resolution. Not sure how to export though.

Return to posts index

Jiggy Gaton
on Oct 15, 2009 at 3:22:35 am

Hi, has this been tested in Motion 4? I can get clean text in the scroll, but the motion is jerky in the upward motion. I am using XDCAM HD 1080p30 all the way thru the settings, but I get these little jerks here and there. Right now teaching a one-on-one tut to client, and this is kinda embarrassing. Any help? I tried to recreate the same scroll in FCP, and I get pretty much the same results there as well.I have all my scratch set to a FW800 drive, and I am using a new Imac. Thx!!!

Phoenix Studios Nepal: A small A/V Production House in Kathmandu.

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
John Locke
on Oct 15, 2009 at 4:09:59 pm

Sorry, Jiggy. I tried a couple of ways to make it smoother, including making the credits in Photoshop and importing them as PDF into Motion. Every way I tried they were still jerky, so I wound up passing the credits off to someone on an Avid system. Probably me that's the problem, but couldn't figure out why I couldn't get a smooth scroll.

Return to posts index

Jiggy Gaton
on Oct 15, 2009 at 4:24:20 pm

Ha! That's a total hoot. To get something done right in FCP, use Avid. Perhaps they could use that slogan in their marketing campaigns. I am determined to find a fix for this considering all the investment in FCS 3. I am getting closer. I downloaded an FCP project and PSD template file from a tip on another forum here on the cow:
bretwilliams.com/cowstuff/croll.zip
This has potential, but I don't understand what the author did in the FCP project, but I am testing it now to see if I can finally have a workflow with smooth credits. I'll try and post back the results of testing here, if I can remember:)
Cheers,
Jigs
ps.BTW, this bypasses the use of Motion, which is not ideal.

Phoenix Studios Nepal: A small A/V Production House in Kathmandu.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jul 1, 2009 at 3:24:32 pm

Ways to avoid interlacing problems is to use a San Serif font or make the font bigger. Unfortunately there is not a flicker filter in Motion. You can import your credits into FCP and add a flicker filter.

Stephen Smith
Lone Peak Productions

Return to posts index

John Locke
on Jul 1, 2009 at 3:46:44 pm

Thanks, Stephen

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jul 1, 2009 at 4:33:40 pm

Happy to help.

Stephen Smith
Lone Peak Productions

Return to posts index

John Locke
on Jul 1, 2009 at 2:50:09 pm

Hi Jason,

I did... thanks a lot for pointing that out. It was set to "Current Project and Canvas Settings."

I'm just learning Motion obviously. Any recommendations on what would be the best export setting for an HD 1920x1080 clip to be pulled into Avid?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]