FORUMS: list search recent posts

Ideal RAM for Motion 3?

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
peter dunphy
Ideal RAM for Motion 3?
on Jun 30, 2009 at 3:24:33 pm

Hi Everyone,

I am on the verge of buying a Apple Mac Pro 2 x 2.66Ghz Nehalem (8 Core) and just want to be sure I have the ideal amount of RAM installed to ensure that Motion 3 runs like a dream.

However, having read the info in the below link I'm a bit confused and my intention to buy 12GB of RAM has been thrown into doubt in my mind. For the Apple Mac Pro 2 x 2.66Ghz Nehalem (8 Core) it looks like the optimum RAM level is 12GB Ram (6 x 2GB)?

It looks as if the processing times are shorter for 12GB than for 16GB, but am not entirely sure if this is the case. Here is the link:

http://www.barefeats.com/nehal04.html

I think I could probably stretch my budget to afford an extra 4 GB of RAM (to 18GB) if it helps Motion run 'smoother' without any freezes.

I am also buying a ATI Radeon HD 4870 Graphics Card.

With Motion I intend to do a lot of effects on sports footage for a promotional video (camera zooms, extreme slow-motion etc), similar to highlights of a soccer match you would see on television.

Any suggestions would be really appreciated - I'm really excited about what I might achieve in Motion.

Thanks in advance

Peter

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
david bogie
Re: Ideal RAM for Motion 3?
on Jun 30, 2009 at 4:19:00 pm

Motion's performance is mostly not about RAM and your research is contradictory to what all of our brains tell us should be happening.
The card will give you the most muscle for this rev of Motion and this OS. But no one knows what Snow Leopard and Motion 4 might be able to do when they show up in the same machine.

Buy all the RAM you can afford, I suppose, but don't expect miracles with Motion.

bogiesan

Return to posts index

rudy atraxx
on Jul 21, 2009 at 4:28:00 pm

Would not the video card that makes the difference from what I read some time ago already (and I do not know where).

Personal, I added 2 more gigabytes of both original and it did nothing. However, Since I work two screen 20 ", Patina over it...

Rudy a-traxx

Return to posts index

peter dunphy
on Jul 21, 2009 at 7:47:35 pm

Thanks for your feedback David and Rudy I'm just now getting my MacPro setup. It has the 4870 graphics card and 8GB Apple RAM - looking forward to running Motion on it! I'm hoping that when I 'roundtrip' from FCP to Motion, when I bring the clip back into FCP, I'm hoping that the rendering speed will be much quicker than it was on my Intel iMac.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]