FORUMS: list search recent posts

color border around mask

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Swanson
color border around mask
on Jun 28, 2009 at 6:50:56 pm

All I want to do is add a solid color border to my mask. In after effects... simple. In Avid simple. However, I'm going to be at a facility that only has the FCS applications. I would rather do this in FCP but all I get is buy so and so plugin. If I was at my own studio I would do this. But I'm afraid I won't be allowed to bring any plugins to a corporate facility.

Back to my point, I thought I'd be able to do it in motion and I'm sure it can be done, but how. The logical ways aren't working for me. I tried adding a simple drop shadow and tweak the parameters, but I can't achieve the effect.

It was suggested add an outer glow and play with the settings until a solid border was had. I keep getting close but no cigar. There must be a simple way and I'm not getting it. How is it that all these work-arounds for something that should be standard. Please tell me I'm missing something obvious.

I was originally trying to do this to a crop in FCP and it has led me to this...and a three hour morning to accomplish.

Macbook Pro 17
2.6 ghz
4 gigs ram
GeForce 8600 GT 512 mb
HD One 8 drive Raid 5
QT 7.5
FCP 6.04

Return to posts index

Jim Johnson
Re: color border around mask
on Jun 30, 2009 at 3:12:03 am

Howdy,

One method: Draw a shape, use it as the source for an Image Mask of your element, dupe the shape, turn off Fill and turn on Outline for the dupe, and Bob's your uncle. If you make any changes to the original shape (the source of the mask) you'll need to do the same for the the dupe, but this method will give you total control of the look of your border.

Return to posts index

Craig Swanson
Re: color border around mask
on Jun 30, 2009 at 11:10:01 am

Cool, I'll try that out and let you know how it goes.

Macbook Pro 17
2.6 ghz
4 gigs ram
GeForce 8600 GT 512 mb
HD One 8 drive Raid 5
QT 7.5
FCP 6.04

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]