FORUMS: list search recent posts

opaque black BG in PSD layers

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
J. Tad Newberry
opaque black BG in PSD layers
on Jun 16, 2009 at 7:37:34 pm

I have Motion 3, but not Photoshop. I can import as layers my client's PSD logos, but each layer shows up with an opaque black background around it/them. I can key out the black on each layer, but it's not terribly clean and it seems like there should be a better way to do this in Motion. Anyone? Buehler?

I'm wanting to be able to animate each layer a bit so the client can have the humongous thrill of watching their logo move around and come together in peace and harmony. And the world will live as one. Ooh aah.

I've read several of the threads on psd layers in Motion but hadn't seen any talking about this issue, so my apologies if i just hadn't looked far enough. Thanks dudes...(and dudettes).

Thanks again!

J. Tad Newberry
Big Ya Productions
Mac Pro 2.66 GHz Quad-Core
3 GB RAM
http://www.bigya.tv

Return to posts index

Arnie Schlissel
Re: opaque black BG in PSD layers
on Jun 17, 2009 at 1:33:38 pm

First, let me state the obvious- you should buy Photoshop. That will let you work with the layers and remove the black. And add drop shadows. And create logos. And use photoshop's painting and cloning features and filters on moving video. And much more!

Failing that, open up the media tab in Motion, select the the logo and check it's alpha settings. If Motion is seeing it as straight, flip it to premultiplied. If premultiplied, change it to straight.

Arnie

Post production is not an afterthought!
http://www.arniepix.com/

Return to posts index

J. Tad Newberry
on Jun 17, 2009 at 4:28:39 pm

Thanks, Arnie. Ya, i know...i should just breakdown and buy Photoshop...but until then, thanks for this input, but i still couldn't get it to work/change. I did an "Import as Project" and tried it both as a merged layer (which i figured wouldn't work) as well as separate layers. Even tried just bringing in a single layer and trying all the alpha channel settings in the Media tab. I tried inverting the alpha, changing the colors on the pre-multiplied black, white and color settings. When i tried "GuessAlpha Type" and it would always jump back to "None/Ignore". Could it be something in the way it was saved by my client's graphic person? It did come as a 10 layer psd file, so at least the layers are there.

Thanks again!

J. Tad Newberry
Big Ya Productions
Mac Pro 2.66 GHz Quad-Core
3 GB RAM
http://www.bigya.tv

Return to posts index

Arnie Schlissel
on Jun 18, 2009 at 4:17:32 am

A multilayer Photoshop file should be given to you with no alpha channel. Including an alpha will screw things up.

Each layer in a .psd can have transparency, so no alpha is needed.

There can be only one alpha channel for the entire .psd file, and there's no way to separate each layer with it's own alpha channel- other than making each one a separate file.

And this is why you need to buy Photoshop. So you can fix this kind of stuff.

Arnie

Post production is not an afterthought!
http://www.arniepix.com/

Return to posts index

Jason Diebler
on Jun 18, 2009 at 6:03:10 pm

Photoshop is essential. I've never worked with it, but I know there's a free photo editing app called Gimp that works with psd's.

In the meantime, you could "crop" or "mask" out the black borders.

Return to posts index

Michelle DuCharme
on Jan 25, 2011 at 2:59:17 pm

Do you know if the image mode is CMYK or in RGB? I just had this problem and realized my .psd was in CMYK color. If you can get it into a photo editor, make sure it's in RGB and see if that works.

-Michelle

Return to posts index

chad lawson
on Apr 25, 2011 at 5:30:33 pm

Thanks Michelle, switching to RGB fixed the issue I had. I REALLY appreciate you posting this. Thank you!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]