FORUMS: list search recent posts

10,000 Falling post-it notes with random scribbles on them?

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Josh Evans
10,000 Falling post-it notes with random scribbles on them?
on Jun 12, 2009 at 5:57:35 am

Hi,

Using the particle emitter, I have thousands of post-it notes falling down my screen (using gravity behaviour).

Im guessing the answer is NO. But is there any way I can somehow generate some random patterns on the post-it notes? Or some way maybe of getting 20 different textures, and assigning them randomly throughout the post-it notes?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
Re: 10,000 Falling post-it notes with random scribbles on them?
on Jun 12, 2009 at 3:24:37 pm

At my work we have sticky notes in 5 different colors, if you want to change the color so it seems like you have 5 different sticky notes let me know. Plus it is a lot easier then what I'm about to tell you.

As for adding different sticky notes, duplicate the Particle Cell in the Project Pane or timeline. Hit F4 to open up the Particle Cell. At the bottom there is a Particle Source well. Drag a different sticky note into it and you have the new stickys on top of the old ones. Hit the Random Seed button to change things up. Click on the Emitter in the Timeline or project pane, check the 3D check box and then the interleave particles check box. Repeat for every new kind of sticky. Hope this helps.

Stephen Smith
Lone Peak Productions

Check out my DVD Money Making Graphics & Effects for Final Cut Studio 2

Return to posts index

david bogie
on Jun 12, 2009 at 7:32:27 pm

Stephen, I, of course, bow to your superior Motion-savvy. I was trying to figure this out by suggesting creating a sequence of stills of stickies (created elsewhere) and finding a way to use random frames form that image sequence as the particle source.

I can even imagine building a composition (using After Effects) that would more or less plop random words or nonsense into the frames of a sequence that could be handed off to the input for the sticky note particle source.

bogiesan

Return to posts index

Josh Evans
on Jun 15, 2009 at 4:25:02 am

Yeah that helps a great deal thanks so much!

Also, we only want yellow notes for now.

Thanks again.

Return to posts index

Josh Evans
on Jun 15, 2009 at 4:46:16 am

Hi Stephen,

I am having trouble with the particle source. It seems locked down. when i try and drag a new postit note image over it, nothing happens.

any ideas what im doing wrong? I tried the same with a new project but no luck.

Return to posts index

Josh Evans
on Jun 15, 2009 at 4:53:14 am

OK sorry worked it out. i was dragging from the file browser, but the image needs to be in the project.

Return to posts index

Shane Scrimager
on Jun 14, 2009 at 10:54:29 pm

I had a project with the same idea. Money flying out of a suitcase as the animation ran through the frame. Your project sounds a little more time intensive but this will work.

Create a Particular layer with the custom shape of EACH different post-it note.
(I think if you had 10+ there would be enough difference to make them look individually written. If you had 20+ Particular layers each with different writing it would definitely look better.)

Have each layer react slightly different with gravity, wind, emission, z-space and so on.

Hope that helps, it worked great for me!

Shane

Return to posts index

Josh Evans
on Jun 15, 2009 at 4:27:57 am

thanks so much Stephen, bogiesan, and Shane!

lots of helpful tips, im on it now gunna try them all out.

Return to posts index

Winston A. Cely
on Jun 15, 2009 at 12:38:35 pm

There's actually a pretty easy way to do this with just one particle emitter that I did with the pro-training book (Lesson 8).

Get all your pictures of the different post-it notes and make sure they are named sequentially, so that when you're in Motion, they should up as an image sequence. Drag that image sequence to your canvas and create a particle emitter with it. Make sure the "Play Frames" check box is checked in the Emitter tab, and then adjust your emitter for your needs, including making it 3D. You can then add your gravity, wind, etc behaviors to heighten the reality. Hope this helps!

Winston A. Cely
Editor/Owner | Della St. Media, LLC

Mac Pro 3GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon
4 GB RAM | Final Cut Studio 5.1.4 | Aja Kona LHe

"If you can talk brilliantly enough about a subject, you can create the consoling allusion it has been mastered." - Stanley Kubrick

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jun 15, 2009 at 2:59:58 pm

Happy to help.

Stephen Smith
Lone Peak Productions

Check out my DVD Money Making Graphics & Effects for Final Cut Studio 2

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]