Circle of Images - 3D

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jonathan Ramsey
Circle of Images - 3D
on Jun 8, 2009 at 8:39:28 pm

Hi there,

Wondered if someone could step me through this 3D concept (how to build it):

I would like to use multiple clips and form them into a circle. Then, place a camera in the center and spin it on its Y-axis so that it is panning across these images. Further, the images need to be in a true 3D circle so that as the camera pans across each image, they are bent (concaved) appropriately. Alternatively, the camera could remain stationary if I could "spin" the circle of images somehow.

In case that doesn't make sense: imagine standing in the center of a circular room with, say, 9 movie screens surrounding you. You stay in the same location but spin 360. The view from your POV is what I'm trying to create. The alternative idea would be the same setup, but the room spins around you. The look should be the same either way, but I'm not sure how to build this.

I do understand I have to set the camera to viewpoint for it to spin, but I am not realizing how to make that circle of images in 3D.

Any ideas?
Thanks!
Ramsey

RAMSEY
Treeline Film Company
Colorado, USA

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Circle of Images - 3D
on Jun 8, 2009 at 10:35:31 pm

That's not Motion, that's 3D- Cinema4D, Maya, LightWave, etc.

Noah

Check out my new RED Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color.
Now featuring the Lens Adapter Guidebook, Sony EX1 Guidebook,
DVD Studio Pro and How to Light Interviews.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jun 9, 2009 at 3:17:01 pm

Sorry, Noah is right. However, if you are willing to have the images forming a circle not bend (concaved) then it can be done.

Stephen Smith
Lone Peak Productions

Check out my DVD Money Making Graphics & Effects for Final Cut Studio 2

Return to posts index

Jonathan Ramsey
on Jun 9, 2009 at 3:57:15 pm

So my WANTING it to be doable in Motion (or AE, actually) doesn't make it so?! ha ha. If only...

I was hoping that there'd be some complicated way of building a non-concaved circle of images and then nesting that into a 3D Motion space with a super-wide-angle-lens on a virtual camera that would create the effect. No go, ey? Shoot. Okay, time to re-visit the creative coloring board.

Thanks much for your input and time!

Ramsey

RAMSEY
Treeline Film Company
Colorado, USA

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jun 10, 2009 at 12:15:57 am

The problem is that objects in Motion have no z depth. They are just flat floating postcards in 3D space. So things like curves are basically impossible.

Noah

Check out my new RED Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color.
Now featuring the Lens Adapter Guidebook, Sony EX1 Guidebook,
DVD Studio Pro and How to Light Interviews.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

david bogie
on Jun 12, 2009 at 7:44:19 pm

True, sad but true.
However, I'm pretty sure you could create the movie out of Motion and then add some distortion to it.

bogiesan

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]