FORUMS: list search recent posts

Where to put media files for Motion 3

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Hill
Where to put media files for Motion 3
on Jun 8, 2009 at 4:10:50 am

I was looking in the manual and it said that 'in order for a motion file to play correctly in fcp all media files (such as movies and still images)used in the original Motion project must be on the same hard disk as the Final Cut Pro project."

I assume the manual is talking about the fcp media (not the project file). For the most part my fcp media is on a separate drive from my boot drive except for still images, I import still images into fcp and motion but they stay on my boot drive in iphoto - is that a problem?

Thank you.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
Re: Where to put media files for Motion 3
on Jun 8, 2009 at 12:58:26 pm

What page of the manual are you talking about, are you reading about Motion Templates?

Here is how I set things up:
-System Drive - Has Motion installed on it. I only have applications on this drive.
-Drive 1 - Project files, art work, music etc.
-Drive 2 (X-serve Raid) - Video and Audio Files.

I've never had any problems with the video files or projects files. This is a great set up. Hope this helps.

Stephen Smith
Lone Peak Productions

Check out my DVD Money Making Graphics & Effects for Final Cut Studio 2

Return to posts index

John Hill
on Jun 8, 2009 at 10:57:16 pm

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for your reply - I bought your dvd but I haven't had time to get to it since I'm always coming up with new questions.

So the Important note about "in order for a Motion clip to play correctly in FCP, all media files used in the original Motion project must be on the same hard disk as the FCP project" is on page 1218 under Importing a Motion Project into Final Cut Pro.

I would think most people would import photos from iphoto (which would be on the boot drive usually) and not a drive which you would have fcp media on. Maybe having all the motion and fcp media on the same drive is not as important as the manual suggests.

Thanks again.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jun 9, 2009 at 8:07:15 pm

John, thanks for purchasing my DVD.
To be honest, I was surprised to read that in the manual. I've always had my Video and Audio clips on a Server instead of the computer I'm working on and it has worked fantastic for me. Best of luck.

Stephen Smith
Lone Peak Productions

Check out my DVD Money Making Graphics & Effects for Final Cut Studio 2

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]