FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP round tripping

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andre Dahlman
FCP round tripping
on Jun 1, 2009 at 8:27:08 pm

Having some trouble working out my FCP to Motion round tripping workflow.

In FCP I have keyed out a greenscreen vid. When I export to Motion my key isn't respected. Any way to fix this?

thanks.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
Re: FCP round tripping
on Jun 1, 2009 at 8:34:16 pm

By Export do you mean "Send To"? If so, the Chroma Keyer filter is not available in Motion. You can try Motion's Primatte Keyer but it doesn't work well all the time. I would export out your keyed clip as a Quick Time Movie set to Animation. Be sure to set the color to Millions +. Also, make sure the clip is un-rendered when you export it. Hope this helps.

Stephen Smith
Lone Peak Productions

Check out my DVD Money Making Graphics & Effects for Final Cut Studio 2

Return to posts index

Andre Dahlman
on Jun 1, 2009 at 9:24:15 pm

Thanks for the response.

Let me make sure i understand you - and yes, i mean "Send To"

You're saying that Motion will not respect the chroma key filer because it doesn't have that specific type of chroma filter within Motion. Ergo, I should export a keyed out sequence in FCP as a Quicktime Ref file. Then open that file in Motion?

Should work, but I lose some flexibility by locking all my tracks down one when I export the FCP sequence. Still, seems like a better alternative then rekeying everything within Motion.

Thanks for the tip.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jun 1, 2009 at 9:36:31 pm

Sorry for the bad news. I really hope that is something that is fixed in the next version of Motion. So I would make sure the clip I want to export is not rendered. Mark an In and Out point for the clip. Go to File, Export, Using Quick Time Conversion. Format set to: QuickTime Movie. Then Click on Options and set the Compression Type to: Animation. Make sure Depth is set to Millions of Colors +. Then re-import and place on top of the original clip. Disable the original clip and round trip as planed. Hope this helps.

Stephen Smith
Lone Peak Productions

Check out my DVD Money Making Graphics & Effects for Final Cut Studio 2

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jun 1, 2009 at 8:35:03 pm

Sorry, I posted the same thing twice and can't delete this post.

Return to posts index

Arnie Schlissel
on Jun 2, 2009 at 1:55:00 am

FCP does not send filters to Motion. At all. Ever.

Arnie

Post production is not an afterthought!
http://www.arniepix.com/

Return to posts index

Jason Diebler
on Jun 2, 2009 at 1:41:32 pm

[Arnie Schlissel] "FCP does not send filters to Motion. At all. Ever."

Not entirely true. The FCP "Smoothcam" filter does ride along for the roundtrip and becomes the "Stabilize" filter. I believe there is one other FCP filter that can be sent to Motion, but can't think of it off the top of my head.

So to clarify, almost all FCP filters do not get sent to Motion.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]