FORUMS: list search recent posts

Motion blur and interlacing

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Clint Stringfellow
Motion blur and interlacing
on May 8, 2009 at 6:43:22 pm

I'm having trouble getting a nice looking motion blur on an object from motion in FCP. In Motion, I have an album cover flying in from the distance, and in Motion (with motion blur enabled) it looks really nice. When I bring it into FCP, it is interlaced and has much less motion blur, and it looks like crap. Note: I do have motion render quality set to "Best" in the render settings in FCP so that I can see the motion blur.

What drives me nuts is that if I create that same simple movement in FCP and add a motion blur filter to it, it looks fine! I'd prefer to use motion b/c I have several other elements that will be a part of the composite. How can I get the motion blur from Motion to look decent in FCP?

I am hooked up to an external monitor w/ FCP. The blur on the object created in FCP looks much better than the imported motion footage.

Here are examples of what it looks like.

1) The motion file in the FCP timeline:

2) Here's what it looks like in Motion:

3) Here's an example of creating the movment in FCP and adding motion blur:

Return to posts index

Arnie Schlissel
Re: Motion blur and interlacing
on May 9, 2009 at 3:03:36 am

It would be nice if you posted your FCP sequence & Motion project settings. Without that info, it's impossible to be of any help to you.

If you're working with interlaced video, you absolutely need to view it on an interlaced monitor. Otherwise, it's very possible that what you think is a horrible mistake may in fact be correct & quite beautiful. And it's not unusual for people to accidentally make extremely horrible looking interlaced video because it looked good on their computer screen.

Arnie

Post production is not an afterthought!
http://www.arniepix.com/

Return to posts index

Clint Stringfellow
on May 11, 2009 at 6:12:17 pm

My settings are NTSC DV 720x480 29.97fps in FCP and Motion. As stated in the original post, I am using an external monitor for viewing. It's an NTSC monitor.

The blur from the motion project just doesn't look all that nice. Looking closer at the example that I used in FCP, I realized that I did the movement by adjusting the "scale" property in the filter "Basic 3D". This, in combination with turning on "motion blur" looks nicer than the movement and blur from the Motion project when viewed on the external monitor.

Return to posts index

david bogie
on May 12, 2009 at 2:34:45 pm

the algorithms for "motion blur" are compeltely different in the two applications. I've never understood how FCP calls that junk "motion blur" since it samples frames of the source video as well as movement. Motion, however, uses a more conventional approach that applies the illusion of an open shutter to create movement blur.

If you are processing Motion's motion blur with FCP's motion blur, you are going to see some screwy results. Pick one or apply them both if you know what the end result is supposed to be.

bogiesan

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]