FORUMS: list search recent posts

AE vs. Motion: Which is best for me?

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Davis
AE vs. Motion: Which is best for me?
on May 3, 2009 at 3:38:30 am

Hello,
I started a thread with this subject in the After Effects section. I wanted to hear from both the Motion and AE crowds, but I didn't want to start the same thread in two sections (forum etiquette). Everyone there is suggesting AE, which may have something to do with the section in which I put the thread. But I'd really like to hear from the people in this section, too, so I can better understand some of the positive attributes of Motion.

Here's a link to the thread:
http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/2/956091#956091

Thanks,
Chris

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: AE vs. Motion: Which is best for me?
on May 3, 2009 at 4:37:40 pm

If you want to do mostly titles and effects animation with easy results- go Motion. If you are doing sophisticated composites and manipulation of live-action footage, go AFX. To be honest- having both is a fine idea, as they have complementary strengths.

Noah

Check out my new RED Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color.
Now featuring the Lens Adapter Guidebook, Sony EX1 Guidebook,
DVD Studio Pro and How to Light Interviews.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Chris Davis
on May 3, 2009 at 7:59:03 pm

Noah Kadner
"If you want to do mostly titles and effects animation with easy results- go Motion. If you are doing sophisticated composites and manipulation of live-action footage, go AFX..."

Thanks for the reply. When you say "effects animation," does this mean the stuff that's completely computer generated?
-Chris

Return to posts index

Chris Davis
on May 3, 2009 at 8:15:35 pm

Here's a copy of the original post on the AE section:

Hello,

I’m getting near maxing out what I can do in FCP, and am interested in learning an effects program. I am currently using a MBP with 128 MB of VRAM, but plan to upgrade to a Mac Pro with a proper graphics card in about a year. I’m not asking which program is “better,” just which one seems more suited to me now and also which program would work best for me once I get a real video editing computer. I do not want to learn both programs, as each looks as if it would take hundreds of hours to really learn well, and I also don’t want to buy two sets of plug-ins.

1. Besides RT and FCP integration, what are the advantages of using Motion over AE, if any?

2. Is one program easier to learn than another? (Motion looks a little easier, but there’s over 20 times as many video tutorials for AE as there is for Motion, on this site alone, could make AE easier to learn for me.)

3. Does tracking in Motion work as well as tracking in Mocha (which I believe integrates with AE CS4)?

I am mainly interested in manipulating actual footage, rather than generating it. For example, I’m not so interested in really fancy titling or the kind of generated effects that one might see in a TV news or sports program. Here’s a few things that I’d like to do:

• Mask out a couch that’s shot with a static camera in a real living room (not green screen), then make it expand and contract as if it were breathing, in the same room.
• Adding “filmic glow” and other color enhancing effects to footage (beyond what FCP can do).
• Mask out the top of houses/horizon enough so that I can put alternate video in for the sky, or drastically change the color of the sky, using tracking with panning/tilting footage.
• “Build” a person or object so that it appears out of particles from the ground, perhaps using a shattered glass effect or particle system effect in reverse. (I would start with footage of a real person or object).

Many thanks for your time,
Chris

Return to posts index

david bogie
on May 4, 2009 at 6:10:45 pm

[Chris Davis] "Everyone there is suggesting AE, which may have something to do with the section in which I put the thread. "

No, that's not it. AE will get your through anything, Motion is a bit more restrictive, by design, to have a more immediate and interactive feel specifically helpful for shorter form projects and stuff that need interactive linking to FCP. If you want to do stuff with Adobe artists, you must have After Effects. if you are collaborating with Avid users, you won't want Motion.

If you have AE, you will use only AE. if you have Final Cut Studio and no CS4 apps, you will use only Motion.
If you have them both, you will use them both.
I use them both. I use After Effects daily. I use Motion only when I must.

bogiesan

Return to posts index

Chris Davis
on May 6, 2009 at 12:57:13 am

bogiesan
AE will get your through anything...
I use Motion only when I must.

Thanks for your reply. I'm curious what kind of projects you "must" use Motion for. When you have a limited amount of time?

Sounds like AE is for me. I am curious, though, what Motion does do that would cause someone to pick it for a particular project, rather than AE.
-Chris

Return to posts index

david bogie
on May 7, 2009 at 3:06:27 pm

[Chris Davis] "Thanks for your reply. I'm curious what kind of projects you "must" use Motion for. When you have a limited amount of time?
Sounds like AE is for me. I am curious, though, what Motion does do that would cause someone to pick it for a particular project, rather than AE. "

A bunch of factors, these are all I can think of:
The realtime capabilities of your system are adequate to the task.
Your project is suitable to the restrictions of Motion
Motion's otherwise expansive and unique functions are appropriate to your project.
You know the differences between the applications and can instantly determine which is best for the task.
You know intimately your inventories of third party filters and doodads.
The ability to converse within the Studio apps is more efficient than going out to AE.
You already have the Studio suite.

bogiesan.

Return to posts index

Chris Davis
on May 8, 2009 at 12:46:18 am

[bogiesan]
"A bunch of factors, these are all I can think of..."

Thanks,
Chris

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]