FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can I run Motion with 128 MB of VRAM?

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Davis
Can I run Motion with 128 MB of VRAM?
on Apr 27, 2009 at 7:27:13 pm

Hello,

I'm using an early 2008 2.2 GHz Mac Book Pro with 128 MB of VRAM. I mainly work with HD footage. I'm wondering if Motion works smoothly with a computer like this, or if I'd just end up getting frustrated.

(A Mac Pro with a decent graphics card is on my wish list, but can't get one yet.)

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Winston A. Cely
Re: Can I run Motion with 128 MB of VRAM?
on Apr 28, 2009 at 12:25:13 pm

Motion-Specific Requirements

* A standard or built-to-order system configuration with a NVIDIA GeForce 5200, 6600, 6800, 7300, 7800, 8600, 8800 or Quadro class graphic card.
* A standard or built-to-order system configuration with a ATI Radeon 9600, 9700, 9800, X800, X1600, X1900, or X2600 class graphic card.
* For 16- and 32-bit rendering: a graphics card with at least 128MB of VRAM.

Personally, I think you'll be in for a world of hurt, because I've got an X 1900 XT with 512 MB of VRAM, and I can very quickly max it out.

Winston A. Cely
Editor/Owner | Della St. Media, LLC

Mac Pro 3GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon
4 GB RAM | Final Cut Studio 5.1.4 | Aja Kona LHe

"If you can talk brilliantly enough about a subject, you can create the consoling allusion it has been mastered." - Stanley Kubrick

Return to posts index

Dan Acharya
on Apr 28, 2009 at 3:13:11 pm

Hi,

I was in the Apple Store the other day asking about VRAM for Motion3 and a guy told me that Snow Leopard MIGHT enable RAM to be used for GPU stuff too. With a potential re-write of FCP studio for full 64 bit utilisation it might ease the pain. I'm not a rumour troublemaker or anything like that but it is probably worth waiting to see what Snow Leopard means for us in general :-)

On another note I compared the MBP 2008/9 Nvidia 256 with the 2008 MBP Nvidia 512 and the Motion 3 RAM render capacity was over double ie 300 frames Vs 120. Same model card too. So 128 might really be struggling.

Dan

Return to posts index

Chris Davis
on Apr 29, 2009 at 11:13:23 am

Winston and Dan,
Many thanks for the info -- you saved me some time and frustration. Looks like I'll be waiting on Motion until I get a real computer.
-Chris

Return to posts index

Chris Davis
on May 3, 2009 at 3:23:42 am

I'm hearing elsewhere that my computer would work with Motion, if a bit slowly. I'm not doing this professionally. Am I really SOL with 128 MB of VRAM with Motion, or will it just limit RT in some effects?

Return to posts index

Dan Acharya
on May 4, 2009 at 5:57:50 pm

Hi Chris,

I realise I've been a bit of a donut suggesting that the 512 card doubled the preview capacity. After increasing the RAM on my MAC Book Pro from 2 to 4 gig, I've doubled the capacity of the preview!
I think a larger VRAM allows for more textures to be drawn simultaneously but not longer previews :-(. But then I think the quality and speed of the graphics card are more important than the VRAM capacity alone. Obviously there will be a minimum VRAM capacity that is required but beyond that other factors definitely kick in. Motion eats resources and it'll be interesting to see what Mac's new Snow Leopard OS brings to the table in regards to coping with 3d graphics/GPU accelerated programmes. I think I've concluded that Motion needs a really good card to make it 'happen' and that cheap 512 cards are false economy and only look good on paper and are simply not fast enough to utilise all that VRAM.

Hope it all works out.

Return to posts index

Chris Davis
on May 6, 2009 at 12:51:52 am

Dan,
Thanks for the info.
-Chris

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]