FORUMS: list search recent posts

motion so SLOW!

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Carey Wilson
motion so SLOW!
on Apr 27, 2009 at 7:37:12 am

Hey there

I'm using motion for some professional work... now generally i just use fcp for all my editing needs but sometimes i use motion... when i do i find that motion starts off working fine, but the more things i do/add the slower it gets... it gets to the point where i have to export a video just to see what it looks like coz if i press play in motion to preview my work it plays so slow you can see each individual frame slowly passing by... as you can imagine this is very fustraiting... does anyone have any ideas how i can fix this? ie is there a render or preview setting i can change so i can preview my work in lower quality... but at least so it plays in realy time?

i use a 17" mbp, only a year old, ram uped to 4 gig... i would have thought this machine would be able to handle the software, but it does slow my whole computer a heck of a lot whenever i use it

any advice?

thanks in advance

carey

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
Re: motion so SLOW!
on Apr 27, 2009 at 2:28:56 pm

Hit the command and R keys to render the file and then you can preview it in real time with out having to export it. Hope this helps.

Stephen Smith
Salt Lake Video

Check out my DVD Money Making Graphics & Effects for Final Cut Studio 2

Return to posts index

Paul Griffiths
on Apr 27, 2009 at 2:57:23 pm

This is a RAM preview so will only be able to render your timeline as much as the amount of RAM available to Motion

Return to posts index

Carey Wilson
on Apr 28, 2009 at 12:01:56 am

that worked great!

thank you!

Return to posts index

Winston A. Cely
on Apr 28, 2009 at 12:30:47 pm

There's another trick that I've been using quite bit recently, and I'm on a Mac Pro with 512 MB VRAM.

As I finish comps in my Motion project, I'll bake the elements that are complete (at least until I get feedback from the client) and then I can add more elements with limited slow down. It's easier for Motion to handle alpha channel movies then it is to have tons of groups with tons of elements in them.

This has sped up my workflow quite a bit even when I have to adjust and "re-bake" certain elements.

Winston A. Cely
Editor/Owner | Della St. Media, LLC

Mac Pro 3GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon
4 GB RAM | Final Cut Studio 5.1.4 | Aja Kona LHe

"If you can talk brilliantly enough about a subject, you can create the consoling allusion it has been mastered." - Stanley Kubrick

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Apr 28, 2009 at 3:32:15 pm

Here is another thread you might want to look at: http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/170/860818#860819

Stephen Smith
Salt Lake Video

Check out my DVD Money Making Graphics & Effects for Final Cut Studio 2

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]