FORUMS: list search recent posts

Motion 3 & Nvidia 8600M 512MB on a Mac Book Pro

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan Acharya
Motion 3 & Nvidia 8600M 512MB on a Mac Book Pro
on Apr 26, 2009 at 9:30:41 am

Hi,

I am looking at 2 refurb MB'Pros. One is a 2008 early model with 512MB NVidia 8600M GT card and the other is a late 08 model with same card but 256MB and an additional 9400M 256MB integrated.

Has anyone used Motion on an early 2008 MBP 2.5 Ghz with the 512 card?
I have heard that the late 08 model has speed improvements but I am worried that 256MB will limit Motion's ability. I will mainly be doing video layering with a few particle effects and learning Motion 3.

Is it down to MB or GPU clock speed/FSB/RAM?!

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Chris Davis
Re: Motion 3 & Nvidia 8600M 512MB on a Mac Book Pro
on Apr 28, 2009 at 10:54:03 am

Dan,

I do not know the direct answer to you question, as I am just considering learning Motion myself. But I noticed no one had responded to your thread yet, so I thought I'd say what I do know. I looked around for info comparing the early 2008 MBP graphics cards with the late 2008 MBP graphics cards when these came out. The gamers seemed to know these cards pretty well. If I remember correctly, the late 2008 MBP cards were less than 20% faster than the early 2008 MBP cards (comparing cards with equal VRAM). I remember thinking that Apple had hyped these cards pretty well. Perhaps this helps.

-Chris

Return to posts index

Colin McQuillan
Re: Motion 3 & Nvidia 8600M 512MB on a Mac Book Pro
on Apr 29, 2009 at 4:06:24 am

Im running an '08 2.5mhz 512MB NVidia 8600M GT MBP. Works great for on the road editing. In fact I'm set up in a hotel room ATM with my MBP cutting away prepping for an upcoming live broadcast.

My main machine is an octo MacPro which obviously spanks the MBP, but I do a fair bit of work on the road and the MBP with an external drive performs very well. You will definitely want to max the ram, you don't need to do this from apple, you can get RAM chips for a great price from other online vendors. Motion eats up ram like crazy and when it fills up, and it will, your machine will slow to a crawl. Just be sure to clear the ram preview every so often (Mark ->RAM preview ->Clear Ram Preview) even if you haven't rendered a preview.

Colin McQuillan
Vancouver, B.C.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]