FORUMS: list search recent posts

ragged letters in motion text created in MotioM

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jim brannigan
ragged letters in motion text created in MotioM
on Apr 24, 2009 at 12:17:30 am

greetings-
i am currently working on a 30-second spot using Motion. the spot includes video, digital photos, and motion text i created in Motion. the problem is that the text looks crisp and clean when viewed in Motion, but when i export the file as a quicktime file and import it into final cut pro, the letters of the text look ragged when viewed in fcp. the raggedness appears on any letter with curves i.e. c, s, p. etc. f, t, l, all look ok. is their a way to correct the problem in motion or fcp ?
thank you for the help.
jim b

Return to posts index

david bogie
Re: ragged letters in motion text created in MotioM
on Apr 24, 2009 at 2:23:39 pm

almost always user error or perception error. If you are working in Motion, you may have a project set to a higher rez than your sequence in FCP. Why are you exporting the movie from Motion? You should be using the .motn file.

See Mark Spencer's great article:

http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/motion_text_in_fcp_spencer.html

bogiesan

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Apr 24, 2009 at 3:40:47 pm

[bogiesan] Why are you exporting the movie from Motion? You should be using the .motn file.

In a lot of cases I think that is the best way to go. However, I've done some massive projects that will take an hour to render 10 to 20 seconds, while exporting it out as a movie only takes 10 minutes. So, if the project is real beefy then I would export out a movie, if it's not beefy I would always go with rendering the .motn file.

For example, this TV show open was killer on the render so I switched over to exporting out parts of it. Hope this helps.

Stephen Smith
Salt Lake Video

Check out my DVD Money Making Graphics & Effects for Final Cut Studio 2

Return to posts index

jim brannigan
on Apr 24, 2009 at 5:50:52 pm

david and stephen-

thank you for the responses- and i assume that fcp will seamlessly import a .motn file. Just to be clear, though, are you saying you "do" encounter the problem as i have described it i.e. ragged outer edges on text characters created in motion and imported into fcp, and that it is a mismatch in resolution between motion settings and fcp sequence settings---and if the settings are the same there will not be a problem? Or are you saying that there will be no problem if i import the motion project into fcp as a .motn foile? sorry for beating this to death, but i just want to be clear about how to solve the problem.
thanks again-
jimb

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Apr 24, 2009 at 5:52:33 pm

[jim] and i assume that fcp will seamlessly import a .motn file.

Yep, just treat the file like you would if it was a video clip or artwork or something. It will require that you render the .motn file.

[jim] are you saying you "do" encounter the problem as i have described it i.e. ragged outer edges on text characters created in motion and imported into fcp

Yes, it is usually a setting problem. Motion defaults to Normal. You can go up to View, Then change the Render Quality to Best. That will sharpen up all of your text. This will make Motion run sluggish so don't do it until your done or for previewing purposes. It and more is all covered in that article David attached in his post. I hope this answers your question, if not, let us know and we will get your text looking great. Best of Luck.

Stephen Smith
Salt Lake Video

Check out my DVD Money Making Graphics & Effects for Final Cut Studio 2

Return to posts index

jim brannigan
on Apr 24, 2009 at 6:11:06 pm

stephen
thank you for the clarification. i will try the import .motn file and settings change today.
cheers- jimb

ps thanks for such a quick response

Return to posts index

Kevin Monahan
on Apr 27, 2009 at 8:47:02 pm

FCP Canvas is not a good place to monitor motion graphics at all UNLESS you set it to precisely 100%. Better yet would be to connect to a broadcast monitor. Do one of these things and I bet you have better results.

Kevin Monahan
http://www.fcpworld.com
Author - Motion Graphics and Effects in Final Cut Pro

Return to posts index

jim brannigan
on Apr 28, 2009 at 4:22:13 pm

thanks kevin- i'm going to set up a broadcast monitor.
jim b

Return to posts index

jim brannigan
on Oct 23, 2009 at 9:29:50 pm

hi stephen-
thanks again for the guidance on Motion issues. On another subject, i recently purchased your money-makinggraphics and effects dvd thru creative cow, and the dvd will not open and play in my new macbook pro. the dvd shows up in my hard drive , and i can view the folders if i click "open", but it will not play. when i open dvd player it does not recognize the dvd as playable.
i searched the creative cow website for a customer service center, and there is none. any ideas on how to get the dvd to play,. or what the problem might be? other dvd's play just fine. please advise...i'm just anxious to get into your dvd and start using your stuff!!
thanks-
jim b

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Oct 26, 2009 at 2:52:40 pm

Jim, thanks for purchasing my DVD Money Making Graphics and Effects. It is a DVD-ROM disc so it won't play in the DVD player program. Double click on the DVD icon that appears on your desktop. Click on the Start_Here.html file and you will be good to go. I recommend that you drag all of the files over to your hard drive for better playback. Best of luck and enjoy.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out the Graphics Demo Reel I did.

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]