FORUMS: list search recent posts

Motion project with alpha doesn't look right in Final Cut

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Richard Fomo
Motion project with alpha doesn't look right in Final Cut
on Apr 20, 2009 at 8:09:59 pm

Hi all,

Did not see any posts by searching that exactly relate to this problem. I'm making a round trip from FCP to Motion and back again to make some simple titles to be composited over the FCP footage. In Motion, the text sits on top of a gradient rectangle with 2 colors. There are several ways to make a gradient in Motion; I chose the linear gradient generator in the Image Units category (in case this makes a difference). I added a guassian blur to soften the edges and I turned the alpha down to zero on the second color to make a gradient ramp that feathers down to total transparency on the right side of this rectangle. Because of the way I blended the colors, the left side is semi-transparent rather than opaque. Pretty simple and it looks correct in Motion itself. Back in FCP, the right side is solidly opaque with the color #1 of the gradient. It's as though FCP wants to see the first color that had been blended out into the second color now that the second color is invisible. Anyway, it's pretty disappointing to not be able to make use of the FCP/Motion integration. I can export a quicktime with alpha from Motion, import it into FCP and it looks as expected once I modify the alpha from straight to premultiplied with black. Anybody have any ideas on why this happens and how to correct it, work around it (other than exporting)?

I'm working in Final Cut Studio 2.

Richard Fomo Video
3 Edge Hill St., unit 1
Jamaica Plain, MA 02130

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
Re: Motion project with alpha doesn't look right in Final Cut
on Apr 20, 2009 at 8:26:22 pm

If you want a Solid to gradually disappear, I think the easiest way to do it it to use the shape tool. Change the Fill Mode to Gradient, click on the gradient discloser triangle and make both colors the same. Create an opacity tag and then drop it's opacity. While reading this, I know it sounds like that it will take longer but once you've done it you will see that it is very easy and provides more control over what you want to do. In my opinion that is. I think this will work better round tripping for you. Hope this is of some help.

Stephen Smith
Salt Lake Video

Check out my DVD Money Making Graphics & Effects for Final Cut Studio 2

Return to posts index

Richard Fomo
on Apr 20, 2009 at 10:40:57 pm

Thanks Stephen, your method doesn't "confuse" Final Cut. The round trip is WYSIWYG.

Richard Fomo Video
3 Edge Hill St., unit 1
Jamaica Plain, MA 02130

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Apr 20, 2009 at 10:29:29 pm

Way cool, I'm so happy it work for you.

Stephen Smith
Salt Lake Video

Check out my DVD Money Making Graphics & Effects for Final Cut Studio 2

Return to posts index