FORUMS: list search recent posts

Motion "Control Layers"

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tony Ingrassia
Motion "Control Layers"
on Apr 16, 2009 at 5:38:20 pm

I primarily use After Effects for motion graphics work, but have begun using Motion for a few specialized things, primarily it's ability to create Master Templates that can be editable in Final Cut (lower thirds, drop boxes, etc...).

My question is whether or not Motion has the ability to do "control layers" like in After Effects. For example, in AE I can create a control layer, then drag onto it several expression controls that allow me to control various parts of my timeline, all from one layer.

If I'm doing a lower third (in AE), the control layer might have several different sliders and checkboxes that control the lower third's color, the color of additional elements, the size of the text, which text layers are visible, etc...

I figured out how to use the "Match Move" behavior to link the movement of one layer to another, but I want to be able to link other parameters and behaviors, and have them all live inside one self-contained layer (or group).

Is this possible?

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
Re: Motion "Control Layers"
on Apr 16, 2009 at 8:33:20 pm

Think of the group as the adjustment layer. Add the Behaviors etc to the group itself and not the layer. It will effect every thing in the group. In most cases you don't need to do the match move behavior, just put the two objects in the same group and add the movement to the group so it moves both objects. Hope this helps.

Stephen Smith
Salt Lake Video

Check out my DVD Money Making Graphics & Effects for Final Cut Studio 2

Return to posts index

Tony Ingrassia
on Apr 16, 2009 at 8:50:03 pm

Yes, that is helpful. I have been using the groups to keep all the text elements together, plate elements together, etc...

I've been using Match Move because I want to be able to control the position of the text in Final Cut. What I did was create a new Drop Box, make it tiny and transparent (0% opacity), and position it on top of the text. I then use Match Move to parent the text to the drop box. That way, when I open the template in the Viewer in Final Cut, I can move the drop box around and the text will follow it. I'm doing this because, as far as I can tell, a Drop Box is the only element you can move around in Final Cut (the text is editable, but can't be repositioned).

The "adjustment layer" idea would work in some cases, but since I'm wanting to control only specific elements of each layer, I don't think it would work here. The adjustment layer would change everything, not just specific things. Is that correct?

So maybe a better overall question would be, does Motion has the ability to do "expressions?" Because that's how I'm able (in After Effects) to link a value from one layer to a slider or checkbox in another layer.

On a broader note, since playing around with Motion I've really been impressed with it. It seemed to me at first to be just Apple's attempt at AE, but I wasn't giving it enough credit. Motion appears to be very powerful, and I plan on learning a lot more about it.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Apr 17, 2009 at 2:44:02 pm

Sorry, no expressions like in After Effects yet. You can only do basic things you would use an expression for like repeating some weird opacity changes or something. All eyes are on NAB to see if their will be a new version of Motion or not.

Stephen Smith
Salt Lake Video

Return to posts index

Tony Ingrassia
on Apr 17, 2009 at 2:51:09 pm

That they are. It's been 2 years since Final Cut Studio 2, do we're due for an update. Is there a keynote-type event scheduled for Apple? I know they're not actually at NAB, but they usually do something to coincide, if I remember correctly.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Apr 17, 2009 at 3:02:27 pm

You might like this article: http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/09/03/13/apple_expected_to_release_new... Well find out real soon.

Stephen Smith
Salt Lake Video

Return to posts index

Ann Danylkiw
on Sep 2, 2010 at 5:11:22 pm

Hiya,

I've tried to apply a behaviour to a whole group and it's not letting me. I'm wondering if I need to use a mask or clone or something? What I've got is a series of text and pics that fade in at various points in the time line. But I want the whole thing to motion path off screen together. How is this done? Do I have to go through the twenty odd items and make twenty-odd individual motion paths?

Thanks, Ann

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]