FORUMS: list search recent posts

Different comp/group sizes?

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Darren Clevenger
Different comp/group sizes?
on Apr 13, 2009 at 10:32:57 pm

Pardon my (most likely extreme) ignorance. I'm learning Motion after having been an AE user and my brain hasn't quite gotten there yet.

I'm thinking of Groups in terms of Compositions. Is it possible to have Groups of different resolutions in the same way that could for example nest a 200x200 composition inside a 720x480 composition?

Im trying to add a white border around a group of photos, the problem being that the group of photos is 720x480 while the photos themselves are more like 480x480 so that leaves me with a white border around my entire Group rather than just around the photos (which are all stacked on top of each other).

Part of it may be that I'm just not familiar enough with the terminology of Motion to be able to do an effective search. All I've been able to come up with are things like "Group resolution" and "Group settings" and all of the search results point me to the project settings which isn't what I want....unless it is and I just don't know it yet.
SO that's my situation, any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Darren

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Different comp/group sizes?
on Apr 13, 2009 at 10:52:17 pm

Nope- every group in a Motion composition is the same resolution as the project. There's no nesting the way it works in AFX. to be honest, this is not a substitute for AFX. Most people use both. AFX for heavy duty comps and Motion for easy titles and effects.

Noah

Check out my new RED Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color.
Now featuring the Lens Adapter Guidebook, Sony EX1 Guidebook,
DVD Studio Pro and How to Light Interviews.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Apr 13, 2009 at 11:24:03 pm

I'm not a 100% sure I understand what your asking. If you want to change the groups size you can select the group in the project pane or timeline and then hit F4 to open up the Group tab. Check the Fixed Resolution check box and make the group what ever size you want. Photoshop and Illustrator files default to the fixed resolution. Hope this helps.

Stephen Smith
Salt Lake Video

Check out my DVD Money Making Graphics & Effects for Final Cut Studio 2

Return to posts index

Jim Johnson
on Apr 14, 2009 at 1:09:32 am

Howdy,

To add yet another reply, keep in mind that groups are dynamic, by default. They size-to-fit their contents. If you want to enforce a specific size, use the Fixed Resolution option that Stephen described.

Return to posts index

Darren Clevenger
on Apr 14, 2009 at 5:40:46 pm

Thanks for all of the help on this one. Here's what I found.

The border was fitting to the size of the photos in the group I had nested within the border group. When I switched it to 3D, the border jumped out to the full size of the 720x480 group. So I went back to 2D and clicked the fixed resolution box on the border group and nested in a new group and made that group 3D and everything was good. Did that make any sense at all?

1.)2D Layered Pictures ->2.)2D Group with border filter ->3.) 3D Group

I'm trying to learn Motion because I've been using AE for stuff I thought I could do in Motion, but didn't have the time to figure it out. Now I'm on a streamlining mission and part of that is to stop rendering AE files when I can just do them in Motion.

Thanks again for all of your help.

Darren

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Apr 14, 2009 at 5:43:41 pm

Darren, happy to help and best of luck on your quest to learn Motion.

Stephen Smith
Salt Lake Video

Check out my DVD Money Making Graphics & Effects for Final Cut Studio 2

Return to posts index

Jim Johnson
on Apr 14, 2009 at 6:29:19 pm

Howdy,

Most filters applied to 3D groups are done so in screenspace, so the border line created by Border will be around the full project area. When applied to a 2D group, it's done in the group's localspace, i.e. the bounds of the group.

As a little aside, if you need to create an outline around an element (or group of elements) that isn't just based on object bounds, you can use the Outer Glow filter and just set both colors to the same value and narrow the Range. Outer Glow is based on alpha.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]