FORUMS: list search recent posts

best workflow outputting roundtripped segments - FCP render settings

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ann edwards
best workflow outputting roundtripped segments - FCP render settings
on Mar 24, 2009 at 3:59:38 am

Hi

I have 30 minute sequence edited in FCP but roundtripped in segments to motion. I now need to output, so I can create mp2 for dvd.

I am confused somewhat now about what my sequence render settings in FCP should be to get the best quality from rendering. In the Render Control tab there is an option for "master templates and motion projects" Should this be set to normal with the "always used best quality when rendering movies" set to best, because although in the pref settings render control tab it is, in the sequence settings render control tab it is set to normal with the "always used best quality when rendering movies" - unchecked.

Also, under the video processing tab - do I keep the default settings of: render in 8 bit YUV - or are motion projects in a RGB color space in which case should I set to render in RGB?

I am also wondering if people use the High precision setting (YUV again)

the other option I suppose is to export from Motion and then re-import into FCP - would I have to re-render again... probably...

Can anybody share their experience and insights with me - thank you

deborah

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: best workflow outputting roundtripped segments - FCP render settings
on Mar 24, 2009 at 6:30:34 pm

I'd just shoot out to Compressor- then everything is rendered according to the render tab settings. YUV is generally not that important.

Noah

Check out My My FCP Blog and my new RED Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook,
DVD Studio Pro and How to Light Interviews.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

ann edwards
on Mar 24, 2009 at 6:48:27 pm

Do you mean to export straight from the FCP timeline using compressor? I usually export as a quicktime movie (unselfcontained) and then import that file into compressor to compress to mp2. I have found this a more reliable method.

Everybody says that If the render control motion templates and projects pull down is set to normal, but the box underneath that is checked - "always render best quality when rendering movies", then the file will be rendered at best quality if recorded to tape or output to disc.
But surely if you've rendered inside FCP at the normal quality, when you export a quicktime movie of that file, isn't it going to be using those same render files already created at normal quality. It's not re-rendering as far as I can tell when I export.

confused

d

Return to posts index

david bogie
on Mar 24, 2009 at 11:14:55 pm

[deborah edmeades] "the other option I suppose is to export from Motion and then re-import into FCP - would I have to re-render again... probably... "

This my preferred flow but we're all different around here.
I also prefer to use the encoder in DVDSP instead of bothering with Compressor first, unless, of course I'm doing something in Compressor that I don't trust DVDSP to deal with successfully.

You did not specify the sequence format in FCP so, assuming it's DV, you gain nothing tangible, unless you're really good at setting all of the variables available within Compressor, going to MPEG2 for DVD release. Umm, allow me to qualify that: "My opinion only." I always use lower render settings while working and switch to best only at the last stages. Saves tons of time but my Approval Workflow Nightmare is, hopefully, much different from yours.

I always use self contained exports form FCP for the move to DVD and I place them on different physical drives than DVDSP/Compressor will placing files. This flow is rooted deeply in pingponging between AE and Ye Olde Media 100. the small hassles and small amount of additional space has always proven to be valuable insurance, again, specific to my nightmare of approvals and file management procedures.

if you think about it, please come back and tell us how you made out.

bogiesan

Return to posts index

ann edwards
on Mar 25, 2009 at 12:57:26 am

thanks for your feedback david b. (and Noah)

Yes, I could skip compressor and encode in dvdSP pro. I thought mp2 was the format required to author a dvd. I have 2 separate DV tracks and 3 motion menus that connect to each other, tracks and chapter markers. I could link everything prior to encoding and do that on build right?

I am re-rendering everything within FCP at best quality. It's going to take all night, but I did notice a signifigant difference in quality, so it must be done.

Another mystery is that I noticed that all my roundtripped DV files have become motion projects with an aspect ratio of .89 and a preset of "custom" as opposed to NTSC DV with an aspect ratio of .9. I am wondering if it is meant to be like this and if not... how did it happen.

thanks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]