on Mar 3, 2009 at 2:09:39 pm

Scroll down to Graphics Cards and then hit the Motion tab

http://www.apple.com/macpro/performance.html

Peter

Return to posts index

Winston A. Cely
Re: New MacPro's Motion performance
on Mar 3, 2009 at 3:25:05 pm

That's an awesome looking card, but it looks like I wouldn't be able to use it. According to it's compatibility:

* Requires Mac Pro (Early 2009 with 1066MHz DDR3 memory) or Mac Pro (Early 2008 with 800MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM memory) with PCI Express 2.0 slot
* Mac OS X v10.5.7 or later

My mac is a Dual-Core (not octo-) 3.0GHz running 667MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM. Oh well.

Winston A. Cely
Editor/Owner | Della St. Media, LLC

Sound it out: Nu-clear, not nu-cu-lar.

Mac Pro 3GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon
4 GB RAM | Final Cut Studio 5.1.4 | Aja Kona LHe

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Mar 3, 2009 at 4:00:35 pm

Thanks Peter!

Stephen Smith
Salt Lake Video

Check out my DVD Money Making Graphics & Effects for Final Cut Studio 2

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
david bogie
on Mar 3, 2009 at 4:01:26 pm

Phooey.
I want Motion to live up to its promises on MY machine NOW.
We wasted almost $2k when we fell for Apple's marketing BS about nvidia 7300 SLI cards. My machines will drive 8 (EIGHT!) 30" Cinemas but I get not a single cycle of improved GPU performance in Motion.

bogiesan

Return to posts index

Winston A. Cely
on Mar 3, 2009 at 6:09:43 pm

I hear your pain, albeit on a much smaller scale.

Winston A. Cely
Editor/Owner | Della St. Media, LLC

Sound it out: Nu-clear, not nu-cu-lar.

Mac Pro 3GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon
4 GB RAM | Final Cut Studio 5.1.4 | Aja Kona LHe

Return to posts index

Jim Johnson
on Mar 4, 2009 at 5:44:51 am

Howdy,

SLI has never been supported on the Mac, unless you count some of the 3Dfx Voodoo cards from the 90s, which had an SLI precursor. Someone at Apple told you you would be getting multi-GPU performance, with 7300s, no less?

Return to posts index

david bogie
on Mar 4, 2009 at 3:52:02 pm

[Jim Johnson] "SLI has never been supported on the Mac, unless you count some of the 3Dfx Voodoo cards from the 90s, which had an SLI precursor. Someone at Apple told you you would be getting multi-GPU performance, with 7300s, no less?"

Yar. the machine with the 4-7300 SLI cards was touted as the last word for Motion.
But it really wasn't MY decision, my IT purchase geeks bought the thing.
The main issue with the marketing scam foisted by Apple was the copy on the site that, IIRC, was something like this: "4x graphics performance," which, if you want it to, implies the four cards deliver 4 times graphics processing speeds or performance. What it really meant was more direct: "This thing comes with four cards that deliver four sets of monitor outputs."

it was a week after we took delivery that we found the cards were not only just dumb monitor cards that Motion did not particularly like, SLI was not supported, SLI had never been supported, and SLI would never be supported. In fact, the card's drivers were dated something like 2003 and nvidia has never updated them.

I am bitter when using Motion.
Bitterness rules my every waking moment.

bogiesan

Return to posts index

Dan Atkinson
on Mar 5, 2009 at 12:49:44 pm

[david bogie] "I am bitter when using Motion.
Bitterness rules my every waking moment."

Bogiesan,

I've read a number of your posts recently here on the cow, and also over on the apple forum.

Although the bitterness is smothering you like wet flannel, please keep up the disgruntled posting, as your posts are one of the few things putting a smile on my face at the moment - been grappling with a Color project for the last 2 weeks!

Dan

Return to posts index

david bogie
on Mar 5, 2009 at 5:18:42 pm

Dan, mostly folks just call me a crank.

You seem to understand my bitterness is, in part, merely letting off steam and compensation for endless user errors. However, I've been waiting for FCP to finally get everything right since v3 and for Motion to even begin to be useful since v1.

I'm not always bitter. I usually enjoy using FCP for our DV stuff, it's efficient and fun.

bogiesan

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Mar 5, 2009 at 7:26:59 pm

[david] mostly folks just call me a crank.

What? Did you get poisoned with something that stops your heart from working or more recently had your heart stolen ;-)

In case my reference is to obscure: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crank_(film)

Stephen Smith
Salt Lake Video

Check out my DVD Money Making Graphics & Effects for Final Cut Studio 2

Return to posts index

Colin McQuillan
on Mar 4, 2009 at 6:35:42 am

I am far more excited about this GFX card than I am about the marginal gains of the new towers. Very glad I can toss one in my 3.2 Octo box! (Will wait a bit though, for all the wrinkles to get ironed out.)

Colin McQuillan
Vancouver, B.C.

Return to posts index

Margus Voll
on Mar 10, 2009 at 6:16:02 am

I'd say that Motion should get sort of a revamp of its code. As far as i see it now on 8 cored pro uses barely 40 - 60 % of cpu and not much memory either. There is a lot of potential in machines but no speed in software itself. I use Motion daily basis and like it a lot but hate freezes i get time to time.

--

Margus

http://iconstudios.eu

Return to posts index

Peter Wiggins
on Mar 10, 2009 at 7:49:40 am

Margus,

Motion uses the GPU for most of its processing, so looking at the CPU monitor doesn't really mean much.

Peter

Return to posts index

Margus Voll
on Mar 10, 2009 at 8:55:57 am

Yes i see. I have quadro fx 4500 installed but i see nothing good out of it. It seems to mee that app could be more cpu and memory intensive as today macs have 16 - 32 gigs of ram but motion uses barely 2 etc.

I usually work with tens of layers of photoshop files and then motion hangs a lot.

--

Margus

http://iconstudios.eu

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]