FORUMS: list search recent posts

Motion 3 performance issue

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Richard Nagy
Motion 3 performance issue
on Feb 26, 2009 at 4:18:12 pm

Dear All!

Has anyone got an idea what to do with Motion 3. I have a serious performance issue. I have an 8 core 2,8 MHz Mac Pro, and as you can see on the picture Motion uses only 1 core of 8. Why??? I reinstalled the whole FCS 2 already. Any idea?
Where should I send this problem inside Apple?
(After Effects has not got any problem!!!)

Link of the screenshot:
motion3cpuactivity1coreonly.jpg

Return to posts index

Jim Johnson
Re: Motion 3 performance issue
on Feb 26, 2009 at 8:32:10 pm

Howdy,

Motion does almost all its processing on the GPU, not the CPU, so that's why you're not seeing a lot of CPU activity.

Return to posts index

Richard Nagy
on Feb 27, 2009 at 9:26:22 am

I just can not believe it!!! I put back my original ATI card (ATI Radeon HD 2600) and Motion 3 on the same project 3x faster.
In that case, what is the best card for Motion 3? Or moreover for video graphic design?

rich

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
david bogie
on Feb 27, 2009 at 3:13:15 pm

the 3780 (or is it 3870?) seems to be the to of the heap at the moment. It is not sold by Apple nor is it available as a custom build form Apple, which is either silly or a sublimely elegant way of bowing out of any responsibility for Motion's inability to achieve promised performance goals or users' expectations.

We all struggle with Motion's quirks. I reduce rendering and on-screen resolution and frame rate of my project till you gain some idea of how it's looking and then try to do some real world testing.

The future holds potential for Snow Leopard, new GPU cards, and the next several versions of Motion to give us fabulous performance and near real time feedback. That would be cool, eh?
No one knows.

You can spend an hour or two on the Net researching ways to boos Motion's performance. They're all trade-offs.

bogiesan

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]