FORUMS: list search recent posts

Motion as my only 3D compositing program

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mick Haensler
Motion as my only 3D compositing program
on Feb 25, 2009 at 10:59:26 pm

Well as long as I'm here waiting for a response to my previous query, I'll put out something that's been on my mind lately. The economic situation has provided me with some free time lately so instead of sitting around with a woe is me attitude I've been aggressively marketing, doing some pro bono stuff for non profits and most of all......FINALLY LEARNING MOTION!!!! Tadah!!!

I like this program, I like it a lot. Aside from less than stellar performance using multiple layers of HD, I can see the possibilities of adding compositing and motion graphics to my growing list of services. Besides, I love doing motion and 3D work. However, when researching 3D compositing I'm finding most of the successful people doing this are using AE or a combination of AE and other programs including Motion. I have no desire nor the pocket book nor the time for the learning curve to attack AE head on. So my query....Is Motion powerful enough and stable enough to get the job done on a professional level?? All thoughts on this will be most appreciated.

Mick Haensler
Higher Ground Media

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
Re: Motion as my only 3D compositing program
on Feb 25, 2009 at 11:08:48 pm

[Mick] Is Motion powerful enough and stable enough to get the job done on a professional level?? All thoughts on this will be most appreciated.

Absolutely it is. However...everything is relevant to what you want to do. I use both AE and Motion based on what the end result will be. For me, I find Motion handles the Motion graphic projects I need to complete 95% of the time. Hope this helps.

Stephen Smith
Salt Lake Video

Check out my DVD Money Making Graphics & Effects for Final Cut Studio 2

Return to posts index

Dan Atkinson
on Feb 26, 2009 at 1:36:49 pm

I agree!

Motion is very powerful stuff. I have both Motion and AE on my system and I used to dip into both equally, but I find I now use motion for the majority of my work these days - AE gets a look in when I want to use depth of field with a camera.

Dan

Return to posts index

david bogie
on Feb 26, 2009 at 3:45:29 pm

You need lights and shadows? After Effects is your only hope.
I merely tolerate Motion's weird paradigm and instability.

bogiesan

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Feb 26, 2009 at 5:14:40 pm

Yeah I can't personally see how Motion could be your *only* 3D compositing program. It's great but it doesn't do a lot of things AFX does and vice versa. But only you can answer your own question. If you can get your work done solely in Motion go for it.

Noah

Check out My My FCP Blog and my new RED Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook,
DVD Studio Pro and How to Light Interviews.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Jason Diebler
on Mar 16, 2009 at 3:16:12 pm

"Is Motion powerful enough and stable enough to get the job done on a professional level??"

What program do you think Apple uses to make there spiffy iPod commercials?

Motion is great. I was using AE before, and I found the transition awkward at first, but once you get the hang, Motion can be blazing fast.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Mar 17, 2009 at 11:14:05 pm

I think Motion is a powerful program. Just check out this TV Show Open I did in Motion.

Stephen Smith
Salt Lake Video

Check out my DVD Money Making Graphics & Effects for Final Cut Studio 2

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]