FORUMS: list search recent posts

Motion Bogs Down (How Can I Fix This?)

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt King
Motion Bogs Down (How Can I Fix This?)
on Feb 3, 2009 at 10:46:43 pm

I am sure I am doing something wrong here...I just don't know what it is. Here is what I am using:

Mac Pro
Model Identifier: MacPro1,1
Processor Name: Dual-Core Intel Xeon
Processor Speed: 3 GHz
Number Of Processors: 2
Total Number Of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per processor): 4 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 1.33 GHz
Boot ROM Version: MP11.005C.B08

Motion 3.0.2

My problem:

Editing a project with only text and 2 pen strokes that I have fiddled with to move around with a Camera following it and audio. Everytime I touch anything on the screen I get the floating beachball and it takes 5 to 10 seconds for what I just clicked to actually happen. I click. Wait. Click. Wait.

I have rebooted. I have fixed permissions. What else can I do to make this go away? This problem sometimes happens when I try and deal with large photos...but this time there aren't any real big files. When I go to the Mac Store the machines there go as fast as the operator can click.

***Okay so since I posted this, the machine is acting as if nothing is wrong. What could have happened that it is working fine now? ***

Thanks for any advice.

-

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Motion Bogs Down (How Can I Fix This?)
on Feb 4, 2009 at 2:49:19 am

I'd try a reinstall.

-Noah

Check out My My FCP Blog and my new RED Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook,
DVD Studio Pro and How to Light Interviews.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Matt King
on Feb 4, 2009 at 9:33:44 pm

I reinstalled according to how the Mac site recommended. It does not seem to have helped.

In fact, the lag actually seems worse. Now the weird thing is in the past it will bog like this for a while and then things pick up long enough for me to get my hopes up that everything is fine...then it's back to editing in mud with gloves on.

Should I be looking at something else?

-Matt K

FCP 6.0.4
Motion 3.0.2
JVC GY-HD110
JVC BR-HD 50
Mac OS X 10.5.5
Mac Pro 2 x 3 Dual-Core Intel Xeon 8 GB 667 MHz

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on Feb 5, 2009 at 2:36:15 am

Several of us are having the same problem. I'm quiting and restarting the machine often to fix the problem...

Mitch Ives
Insight Productions Corp.
mitch@insightproductions.com

Return to posts index

Colin McQuillan
on Feb 5, 2009 at 7:24:34 am

Try unloading your ram once in a while

go Mark -> Ram Preview -> Clear Ram Preview

I find this helps out bigtime when ever my system slows down while in Motion. It goes from stutter to snappy right away.

Colin McQuillan
Vancouver, B.C.

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on Feb 5, 2009 at 2:08:58 pm

Have tried that with limited success, but we're willing to try anything at this point...

Mitch Ives
Insight Productions Corp.
mitch@insightproductions.com

Return to posts index

Matt King
on Feb 5, 2009 at 2:34:32 pm

I appreciate the input. I feel that my problem is getting narrowed down.

Before my post, I had gotten into a habit of clearing the RAM preview and things would work for a little while and also restarting the program and then restarting the machine. I have set resolution to 50 % and Half also.

It became such a stumbling block to have to stop so frequently that I figured it must be something I was doing wrong or some set up on my particular machine that was funky.

I did the re-install and it worked about as long as just restarting the machine does. I'm just curious how everyone else gets their machines to fly while I am stuttering along and what I need to change.

-Matt K

FCP 6.0.4
Motion 3.0.2
JVC GY-HD110
JVC BR-HD 50
Mac OS X 10.5.5

Return to posts index

Winston A. Cely
on Feb 5, 2009 at 4:03:46 pm

Do you have anything else running on the same machine that Motion is running on? I've found that iTunes will crash Motion almost every time. I try not to even have FCP open if at all possible. The only thing I can't turn off at the moment is Mail.

I was having really bad problems for almost a year, and as it turns out it was my graphics card (x 1900 xt). It was still under warranty, and Apple replaced it and now everything is running better than before. I can even let iTunes play in the back when working, though I still advise against it; I now let my tunes play through the PS3.

Overall, I'm disappointed in how over-the-top particular you have to be in order to have the performance that's advertised. From what I've read, every time there's a major upgrade you have to wipe your hard drive completely, and reinstall the system not to mention the programs to have the performance that's touted by Apple. I could understand doing maybe a clean install of the programs themselves, but I rarely hear that that works.

Winston A. Cely
Editor/Owner | Della St. Media, LLC

Sound it out: Nu-clear, not nu-cu-lar.

Mac Pro 3GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon
4 GB RAM | Final Cut Studio 5.1.4 | Aja Kona LHe

Return to posts index

Matt King
on Feb 5, 2009 at 4:13:17 pm

Yes. I usually have FCP open and sometimes even Safari (listening to Pandora). I will try shutting everything else down all the time and see how that works.

How do a person (average guy) go about figuring if they have a bad graphics card?

Thanks again for the input everyone.

-Matt K

FCP 6.0.4
Motion 3.0.2
JVC GY-HD110
JVC BR-HD 50
Mac OS X 10.5.5

Return to posts index

Winston A. Cely
on Feb 5, 2009 at 4:26:34 pm

I was having a multitude of problems; other than Motion slowing to the point of uselessness, I was getting static on my monitor, and eventually, I couldn't start or restart my computer with the monitor plugged in. I had to unplug the monitor (30" Apple HD Cinema) wait for the computer to finish starting up and then plug in the monitor. I had to call Apple support 3 times before they sent me a new card, and the third time was actually on accident. They were trying to transfer me to someone who was going to come to my office to check the computer out, but they transfered me to expert support instead. He said right off the bat they needed to replace my card so that was awesome.

What graphics card do you have? I know there's a new one out that ATI made that's specifically made to run both Windows and Mac. I believe it's the HD 3870. From what I understand it's a great card especially for Pro-Apps. However, don't expect to get as good a gaming performance as the Nvidia cards.

Winston A. Cely

Return to posts index

Matt King
on Feb 5, 2009 at 5:04:52 pm

I have recently started seeing mysterious blue lines across one of my monitors, but it is infrequent. I will keep an eye on this too. Thanks for the information.

The NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT card is in this machine. The whole set up is 2 to 3 years old. Here are the specs for the nvidia...it might mean something to somebody:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT
Type: Display
Bus: PCIe
Slot: Slot-1
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 256 MB
Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
Device ID: 0x0393
Revision ID: 0x00a1
ROM Revision: 3008
Displays:
DELL 2407WFP:
Resolution: 1920 x 1200 @ 60 Hz
Depth: 32-bit Color
Core Image: Hardware Accelerated
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Quartz Extreme: Supported
Rotation: Supported
DELL 2407WFP:
Resolution: 1920 x 1200 @ 60 Hz
Depth: 32-bit Color
Core Image: Hardware Accelerated
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Quartz Extreme: Supported
Rotation: Supported

-Matt K

FCP 6.0.4
Motion 3.0.2
JVC GY-HD110
JVC BR-HD 50
Mac OS X 10.5.5

Return to posts index

Winston A. Cely
on Feb 5, 2009 at 5:10:02 pm

I would look into getting an ATI card. Everything I've read said those were better for Apple's Pro Apps. If it's 2-3 years old, it's probably time for an upgrade anyway.

Winston A. Cely

Return to posts index

Matt King
on Feb 10, 2009 at 7:36:17 pm

Here are pictures of what I'm seeing inside Motion lately:

Photobucket

Photobucket

-Matt K

FCP 6.0.4
Motion 3.0.2
JVC GY-HD110
JVC BR-HD 50
Mac OS X 10.5.5

Return to posts index

David Grimes
on Feb 6, 2009 at 2:26:20 pm

Matt, you mention that in this project you are following something to Audio. What exactly do you mean...is this by you animating to the audio or are you having Motion do it. Motion's audio behavior is very poorly done and can only do limited objects before it starts running into serious cpu issues. If you are using the audio behavior, remove it entirely until your project is done (don't just turn it "off"), then add it and hope for the best. If not, consider shutting off your audio when you don't need it. I find this can make a huge difference in performance.
Good Luck.
-Dave

Return to posts index

Matt King
on Feb 17, 2009 at 10:10:10 pm

Okay interesting thing happened.

I started editing using the Standard Layout instead of my own layout and also (I think this is the big thing) I am using only one monitor when I am editing with Motion. Everything seems to be working like it should now. I have edited 2 projects this way and it has not done the floating beach ball on me at all.

Could it be something to do with the video card having a hard time sending stuff to two separate monitors? I don't have this problem when I am editing with FCP.

Thanks for the suggestions folks.

-Matt K

FCP 6.0.4
Motion 3.0.2
JVC GY-HD110
JVC BR-HD 50
Mac OS X 10.5.5

Return to posts index

Winston A. Cely
on Feb 17, 2009 at 10:15:26 pm

[Matt King] "Could it be something to do with the video card having a hard time sending stuff to two separate monitors? I don't have this problem when I am editing with FCP."

Yes! The graphics card is splitting it's own ram in order to power the two different monitors. Motion is very dependent on the graphics card's ram, while FCP doesn't really care about that graphics stuff.

Winston A. Cely

Return to posts index

Matt King
on Feb 17, 2009 at 10:20:41 pm

Another problem solved. I feel so much better now. Thanks for the help ya'll.

-Matt K

FCP 6.0.4
Motion 3.0.2
JVC GY-HD110
JVC BR-HD 50
Mac OS X 10.5.5

Return to posts index

Jan Franzén
on Feb 18, 2009 at 8:16:54 am

To speed things up, one important thing is to check under the view button over the canvas to be sure not to use any of the render possibilities absolutely needed in the creation of your animation.Just uncheck everything.If you also under Menu: edit/project settings have the 32 floating point enabled and floatingpoint under the view button activated it will slow everything down. I just made a 3d animation of 6 different films in HD flying around and some lightning and turned all renderpossibilties off,turned the render quality to draft and using the resolution menu over the canvas to take down the resolution as low as possible.This was the only way to handle the animation work.Then activating again to see and adjust the final result.

Return to posts index

Raven Plenty
on May 19, 2009 at 5:53:26 pm

I too am having major lagging in Motion 3. I'm running FCP2 on a new 8-core 2.26GHz "Nehalem" Mac Pro with 12 GB of RAM, doing simple animations, just keyframing a mask moving around. There are loads and loads of RAM available. The lags happen when I select or deselect objects and/or keyframe points. I understand the graphics card can be a weak point, but deselecting an object doesn't seem very intensive to me. For what it's worth I have the NVIDIA GeForce GT 120.

Do I really need a better graphics card in order to select and deselect objects, or should I just get After Effects instead (which is what I really want to do)? :P

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]