FORUMS: list search recent posts

Optimal DVD compression settings

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dave Montague
Optimal DVD compression settings
on Jan 29, 2009 at 11:58:11 pm

I want to render several movies for playback on a commercial DVD. What are the optimal compression settings for commercial DVD's? I need to create a master for replication. I have IDVD and Studio Pro. I have mostly compressed for web. I would like the settings for exporting pout of motion so I can bring the movies into Studio Pro and burn the perfect master. Thank you for your help!

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
Re: Optimal DVD compression settings
on Jan 30, 2009 at 12:38:31 am

I export everything out of Motion in it's Native Codac (what my project settings are set to) and let Compressor do all of the number crunching.

Stephen Smith
Salt Lake Video

Check out my DVD Money Making Graphics & Effects for Final Cut Studio 2

Return to posts index

Dave Montague
on Jan 30, 2009 at 12:45:14 am

It's native codec? What is that?

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jan 30, 2009 at 3:38:29 pm

Sorry, let me clarify. I just did a project shot on XDcam cards. It was shot at "XDCAM EX 1080p30". So I use the "XDCAM EX 1080p30" Preset in Motion. If you shot the footage on mini DV then you would use the "NTSC DV" codac. So the Native codec is it's original codec.
When everything is done I would use "Export using Compressor". (that is if you want to go from Motion to DVD studio Pro and not FCP) As for the Export Presets I think the DVD: Best Quality 90 minutes works great. Then import it into DVD studio pro and your set to go. Best of Luck.

Stephen Smith
Salt Lake Video

Return to posts index

Dave Montague
on Jan 30, 2009 at 6:17:10 pm

Thanks Steve,

I have a question??? Can I reduce my HD down to SD 720 X 480 and get good results? The HD is killing my render times.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jan 30, 2009 at 6:22:55 pm

Is you Motion project HD or SD?

Stephen Smith
Salt Lake Video

Return to posts index

Dave Montague
on Jan 30, 2009 at 6:27:30 pm

It was shot is HD. I can make it whatever I want in Motion. I can choose DVNTSC which is what I am thinking I will do. I have a lot of special effects so the render is a killer. I am wondering if taking the footage and compressing it down to DVNTSC will make things a lot better in terms of rendering speed and will be suitable for burning a DVD?

Thanks for all your help!

Dave

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jan 30, 2009 at 9:28:03 pm

I think you will be fine either way. A SD DVD is the same aspect ratio as "DV NTSC", so you won't really lose anything if you build it in that preset. To help keep Motion from chugging on a project I like to dissect my project into pieces whenever I can. For example, this open ( http://www.lonepeakproductions.com/inside.php?page=clients&cid=4 ) I built in Motion is a different project every time you see another picture. I hope this helps.

Stephen Smith
Salt Lake Video

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]