FORUMS: list search recent posts

Missing some Project presets

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mitch Ives
Missing some Project presets
on Jan 14, 2009 at 7:08:46 am

My MBP only shows XDCAM, 2 HDV, and one PAL DVCpro HD presets in the drop down list. On the MacPro the list is long and includes iPhone, SD, lots of DVCpro HD presets. Both machines have version 3.0.2 of Motion.

I found an Apple tech bulletin that mentioned having none show up. Their solution was to run the Pro App Updater 02 or newer. I ran the 05 update but it did not fix the problem. Any idea on how to get all of the presets to show up on the MBP like they do on everyone else's machines?

Mitch Ives
Insight Productions Corp.
mitch@insightproductions.com

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
Re: Missing some Project presets
on Jan 14, 2009 at 3:49:45 pm

I would try deleting your preferences. Here is a link on how to do it.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1885

Stephen Smith
Salt Lake Video

Check out my DVD Money Making Graphics & Effects for Final Cut Studio 2

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on Jan 14, 2009 at 4:39:51 pm

Thanks for the link. I tried removing the playlist files, but that didn't solve the problem.

Next I tried removing the Motion app, and discovered that there were no packages to remove. Then the big surprise. The installer for FCS 2 is dumb as a post. It is not designed to allow you to install a single app. Even though all that is selected is Motion, which requires only 8.1 GB, the installer thinks it needs 42GB, which I don't have left on this laptop... since the rest of FCS 2 is still on there. All of the other apps in the list are checked, but they are "grayed out" so you can't uncheck them.

This is the kind of "bush league" mistake that keeps Apple open to criticism. I can see the "Bob and Tom software company" making a mistake like this, but Apple? Now I have to go through the several hour process of trying to uninstall everything and then reinstall everything, just to fix a simple Motion problem. Not real professional, Apple...

Mitch Ives

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jan 14, 2009 at 4:49:25 pm

I'm confused. The last part of the article talks about how you can reinstall just Motion.

Stephen Smith
Salt Lake Video

Check out my DVD Money Making Graphics & Effects for Final Cut Studio 2

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on Jan 14, 2009 at 11:24:19 pm

I think you should try it. In a word, it doesn't work, unless you have tons of available (free) hard drive space. The installer is not smart enough to realize that you are only installing Motion, which it clearly points out, only requires only 8.1GB of space, and instead refuses to install anything unless you have the entire 42GB of space available that the entire FC Studio 2 would require, if you were installing everything. The sadistic part is that the rest of the suite's apps are grayed out, but has check marks on all of it. Because it's grayed out, you cannot uncheck all the other apps (which are grayed out because it won't install them unless you remove them first). Presumably, if you could uncheck them then the installer would suddenly be able to realize that all you are installing is 8.1GB of software, and let you past the gatekeeper.

In short, the installer is defective and needs to be re-designed.

While this may not be a problem on our Towers (with tons of available space), on a MBP with Parallels, windows, the Adobe software and the Apple software, it is very common to have less than 42GB available on the hard drive... so you're only choice is to remove FCP, and then let it install the entire 42GB of stuff...

Mitch Ives

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]