FORUMS: list search recent posts

Motion to Widescreen Tv questions

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ian Smith
Motion to Widescreen Tv questions
on Jan 12, 2009 at 1:21:25 pm

I'm trying to do a Motion project that will display on a widescreen TV via DVD. I want to create everything exactly as if I went to the local BlockBuster video store, and rented a video that I could watch either 4:3, or WideScreen. I don't think I'm far off with the following, but I could use a few tips.

I have created a Motion animation at these specs:
Broadcast HD 1080i60
1920X1080
square 1.00px

I have then exported the animation as a QTime file, and in QTime Pro changed the video specs to:
1280X720 - I think I just did this to shrink the video size to a size that many people use as I read other peoples help documents.

Next, I imported the video into DVDStudio Pro, and chose for it to display at 4:3, resolution of 720X480i as a Standard Definition disk.

When I play the DVD on the widescreen, and choose the tv feature "Full" picture, I get the correct looking picture I wanted. - Problem is, I just don't feel like I'm doing it right.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Ian

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
Re: Motion to Widescreen Tv questions
on Jan 12, 2009 at 2:04:58 pm

[Ian] I have then exported the animation as a QTime file, and in QTime Pro changed the video specs to:
1280X720 - I think I just did this to shrink the video size to a size that many people use as I read other peoples help documents.

You don't need to do this. In FCP Just export out as a "Quick Time Movie" set to Current Settings and make sure Make sure "Movie Self-Contained" is checked. This well export out a movie exactly how you created it. What I'm trying to say is keep it the way you created it. Let compressor take care of everything else.

I personally like to use compressor to compress my files: Drag into Compressor. Drag any of the default DVD settings onto your movie file. If you look at the summary you will see that the aspect ratio is set to 16:9.

Then import files into DVD studio pro: Import and drag your mpeg files into the Track. Click on Track in the Outline tab. Make sure display mode is set to 16:9 Letterbox. This will make the 16:9 file absorb all of the 16:9 screen. If it is played on a 4:3 TV it will letterbox it so you still maintain the aspect ratio. If you set it to pan-scan & letter box you will be sorry. Some DVD players are set to Pan-Scan by default, meaning your 16:9 video may have the sides cropped off on a 4:3 TV depending on the DVD player.

Best of Luck.

Stephen Smith
Salt Lake Video

Check out my DVD Money Making Graphics & Effects for Final Cut Studio 2

Return to posts index

Ian Smith
on Jan 16, 2009 at 1:22:12 pm

Thank you for the response. Yes, I have everything working properly now. Here is a run down of my steps.

Create the project at 1280x720 (a 16:9 dimension)
Export it at the project settings (same as above)
Compress the file to an Mpeg4 (best 90 minute setting)
Import into DVDStudio Pro with project settings of 16:9 letterbox, SD disk settings etc.
Burn

My dvd looks perfect on a widescreen display, and on a 4:3 television (with letterbox effect).

Somehow, I was making this way harder than it is which I've been known to do from time to time when in a rush.

Thanks,
Ian

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jan 16, 2009 at 3:58:46 pm

Awesome.

Stephen Smith
Salt Lake Video

Check out my DVD Money Making Graphics & Effects for Final Cut Studio 2

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>