FORUMS: list search recent posts

Luma Key Vs. Chroma Key with DVX100b

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
andy schroeder
Luma Key Vs. Chroma Key with DVX100b
on Jan 9, 2009 at 10:09:40 pm

(I've also posted this in the DVX100 forum, I wasn't sure which place was more appropriate - sorry if I'm not supposed to do this)

I'm doing some work now with pulling keys from footage I'm shooting with my DVX100b. I know DV is not the best for chroma key and have been doing all the research I can to make my keys look as good as they can.
My question is this: Since DV has problems with color compression, and pulling keys with clean edges, would I be better off shooting in front of a black screen, with my foreground subjects lit well and placed far enough away from the screen and then pulling a luma key for anything darker than a certain value?

Would this give me cleaner edges? Would it take less tweaking than a properly lit green screen shot with on DV?

BTW: Im pulling keys using Motion 3 and FCP 6, and I know there's better plug-ins, but for this job right now I have to use what comes stock (or free)

I appreciate any insight you have to offer.
Thanks,
Andy Schroeder
http://www.atomicfury.com

Return to posts index

Jason Diebler
Re: Luma Key Vs. Chroma Key with DVX100b
on Mar 16, 2009 at 5:14:40 pm

Definitely "No", do NOT shoot on a black screen. You'll be keying out all the shadows and dark tones in your color spectrum... that would be a mistake. Shoot green if you have it.

You hit the nail on the head, light your subject "very" well, but also light your green screen evenly and create strong separation with careful lighting. I would read up carefully on this... I don't have any links to point you to, but Larry Jordan on Lynda.com does a great green screen lighting tutorial... sign-up for a free day pass and check it out.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]