FORUMS: list search recent posts

Motion tracking

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steven Beers
Motion tracking
on Dec 19, 2008 at 6:14:25 am

Ok, I edited a live show for a local artist. I edited everything and have cross dissolves everywhere (not too tacky though!). Now I am realizing I want to stabilize a lot of the footage in either Motion or AE. I know cross dissolves and most filters don't get exported to either program, but surely someone must have a work around to make it possible to do cross fades after stabilizing. Do I just have to take every clip and drag it out 2 seconds each way to make sure i've got extra head and tail room? I can't tell you how much of a pain in the butt that would be with an hour long live show.

Return to posts index

david bogie
Re: Motion tracking
on Dec 19, 2008 at 11:35:37 pm

SmoothCam and Optical Flow are covered extensively in the manuals. You'll need them.
Gotchas: The ENTIRE media clip is analyzed. If you have 10 seconds out of a 20 minute capture in your timeline, the whole 20 minutes gets analyzed. That's so all of the footage from the capture is processed at once. It's a great feature but the requirement to do the whole clip is mostly misunderstood. It just requires preplanning. There are workarounds, you make independent subclips, I think. Or export trimmed bits of the media and analyze them separately.
And, of course, you already know that motion stabilized footage often has to be scaled up to cover the edges that get brought into the frame as the elements are stabilized. Of course you knew that.

The results can be surprising and sometimes stunning but you must have some patience and you should practice on short clips like 10-30 seconds.

bogiesan

Return to posts index

Steven Beers
on Dec 19, 2008 at 11:43:14 pm

Oh man, I totally forgot about SmoothCam. Thank you for reminding me I'm still a newbie. :) To be honest, the client was happy, and I already turned in the project. This is really me going back and learning a workflow if I need to do this in the future. I'm doing it in AE right now, but I'll go back and learn about that too and figure out which one is better! Thank you so much.

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Dec 21, 2008 at 5:09:06 am

Smooth Cam is available in FCP so there is no need to go into Motion OR After Effects.

Video Filters/Video/Smooth Cam

Andy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]