FORUMS: list search recent posts

feathering cropped edges

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ann edwards
feathering cropped edges
on Dec 16, 2008 at 8:50:52 pm

It seems like there is no direct way to feather cropped edges in Motion. Is this true?

thanks
deborah

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: feathering cropped edges
on Dec 16, 2008 at 9:02:12 pm

Try a mask instead of cropping.

Noah

Check out My My FCP Blog and my new RED Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook,
DVD Studio Pro and How to Light Interviews.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Dec 17, 2008 at 2:25:32 pm

Even the feather option for cropping in FCP is limited. Noah is right, a mask works well.

Stephen Smith
Salt Lake Video

Check out my DVD Money Making Graphics & Effects for Final Cut Studio 2

Return to posts index

ann edwards
on Dec 18, 2008 at 1:37:22 am

thanks
I am using a multitude of masks on top of each other to try and achieve the effect I am looking for.

It's just that there have just been a number of times where it would have been so convenient to use the crop functions, if only one could feather the edges. (like in FCP)

I thought, that maybe I was missing something really obvious about how to to do it.

Stephen - you say it is limited, does this mean that there is some method? I'm Curious.

deborah

Return to posts index

Ben Heusner
on Dec 18, 2008 at 7:18:11 am

You could group the layers together that you want to feather and add a feathered mask to that group.

A channel blur on the alpha channel would give some effect. I'm not on my system at the mo, but if memory serves, that looks ugly fast.

All the best,
Ben

Curious Turtle Professional Video
Training | Editing |Support

http://www.curiousturtle.com

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Dec 18, 2008 at 3:11:03 pm

I'm saying FCP crop-feather is limited because it has a very limited range of how far it can feather the edge. I attached a picture of a color matte feathered as for as it can go with the crop-feather slider. If you type in a number beyond 100 it doesn't make a difference. Where as Motion range goes as far as you need it to.

As for doing multiple images. As Ben said, you can feather a mask on the group...or if you want each image to have a separate masked feather because you can just copy and paste the masked feather onto every image.

Stephen Smith
Salt Lake Video

Check out my DVD Money Making Graphics & Effects for Final Cut Studio 2

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]