FORUMS: list search recent posts

Using Motion to Create Crawling Titles

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric Holzapfel
Using Motion to Create Crawling Titles
on Dec 8, 2008 at 4:46:33 pm

Hello,
I am a very new user to Apple Motion. I know some very basic operations with Motion.

I would like to create a title with two lines of text. One that moves from left to right, and stops, and another line, lower than the first line, that moves from right to left, and stops under the first.

I have figured out that to do this in Motion, I should have two layers, one for each line of text. I do have a video layer (with some audio) as well, that the titles are superimposed over. I am not sure of the method to move the text over the video. I have looked at using a motion path (which seems too slow), I have also tried using the "move" behavior, which does not seem quite right. I have also looked at the text animation behavior, that has a crawl from right to left and a crawl from left to right.

I am used to keyframing in Flash (or FCP) where I place the object, set a keyframe, move the object, and set a keyframe and the object moves (both on the Flash timeline as well as actionscript). I am not sure how to do this in motion using keyframes, behaviors, etc.

Thanks for any help,

eric

Return to posts index

David Grimes
Re: Using Motion to Create Crawling Titles
on Dec 8, 2008 at 5:07:28 pm

Any of the motion behaviors you mentioned will work for what you are trying to do (motion path is overkill if you are just moving linearly). Once you have applied a behavior to your text (just click and drag), click on the behavior (or the object/text) in the layers panel and then go to the Inspector and go to Behaviors tab. You will be able to adjust the speed and many other parameters there. For some behaviors, this is done by changing the Out of the behavior (not the object). Even using the text sequence behaviors, once they are applied you can adjust their specific attributes in the Inspector/Behaviors.

The Inspector is your friend, so get familiar with each tab within it and what they do.

Key framing is also an option, but really unnecessary for what you are doing unless you want to use multiple speeds during the sequence (the behaviors allow for ease in and ease out changes too).

Good luck.

-David Grimes

Return to posts index

Eric Holzapfel
Re: Using Motion to Create Crawling Titles
on Dec 10, 2008 at 12:13:13 am

Hello David,

Thanks. What you say makes sense. I will give it a shot.
I must say, that Motion program is amazing, I have watched a few tutorials, etc, and its capabilities are amazing!

Eric.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]