FORUMS: list search recent posts

Anamorphic trouble

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Raven Plenty
Anamorphic trouble
on Dec 5, 2008 at 5:32:10 pm

I'm creating a short simple NTSC widescreen sequence in Motion. I have built the graphics in Photoshop at 720x480 with 1.2 pixel aspect ratio. Then I exported each separate layer for use in Motion, using save for web as PNG-24. The background graphic itself remains a full 720x480 graphic, but some of the other layers I have cropped before exporting.

The problem is that only the full frame 720x480 graphics are importing into Motion at the correct aspect ratio. The cropped graphics are coming in squished narrow, as though they were created widescreen (832x480) and displaying as 720x480. To be clear here, both Photoshop and Motion are set to 720x480 with NTSC DV widescreen pixel aspect ratio. All of the graphics are exported from Photoshop exactly the same way, except for cropping some of them. But that should not affect the aspect ratio at all.

What gives?

Return to posts index

David Grimes
Re: Anamorphic trouble
on Dec 8, 2008 at 5:23:13 pm

Are you asking why Motion is doing this, or possibly how to work around it? I can't answer the first, but as for the second, select the imported object under the media tab (not the layers tab). Then go to the Inspector and find it's media tab. There are numerous selections there, but one that frequently needs changing is the "Fixed Resolution" box. I prefer to leave it unchecked for more objects.
Hope this offers a little help.

-Dave

Return to posts index

Raven Plenty
on Dec 9, 2008 at 5:13:10 pm

Thanks Dave, that led me to the solution. I don't see a checkbox labeled "Fixed Resolution", I'm just able to play with the pixel dimensions of "Fixed Width" and "Fixed Height". Might be because I don't have the newest version of Motion. However, I can set the pixel aspect ratio to it's proper 1.20 anamorphic setting, which solves my problem.

Interestingly though, my cropped graphic (that imports wrong and is then forced back to the correct 1.20 pixel aspect ratio) displays a bit softer compared to my full frame graphic that imports correctly. That's odd.

Return to posts index

Raven Plenty
on Dec 9, 2008 at 5:15:35 pm

P.S. Why does the media tab still display graphic files that have been deleted from the project?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]